The Runaways: Chapter 25: Kasen

I find the office with no difficulty. When I poke my head through the door, Don isn't there. A big piece of parchment is laid across his desk with a few lines drawn in pen.

There is another note on top of the map.

It reads:

Kasen, do not let Jedda catch you. Go straight to where Cathlina Hampton is located. The exit is not far from here. Go as quickly as you can and save Sofey. I have circled the room she is in. I know who she is to you, and I think you should save her if you can. Good luck.

-Don

If only Sofey still meant that much to me. I would've saved her by now. But she has broken up with me. I can move on now.

Maybe if I can find Cathlina, I'll be happier with her.

“No,” I tell myself, “I shouldn't be thinking about that. She will only help me with my life that is getting weirder and weirder.”

Nothing should change in my life, but it is being changed and I can't do anything to stop what will happen to me. I have no hope of being normal. I can't even live in a normal house without yelling and hitting. It leaves me to lose my sanity. I want a normal family where both of my parents love me. The reality is that my own mother refuses to call me as her own.

I have never understood why. I get pretty good grades in school, even though I often get into trouble. But nothing she's ever gotten mad about has been related to my grade or behavior.

Earlier this year, I asked my mom if a friend could come over after school. He was having trouble with math, and I thought I could help him out.

Mom didn't think so. She hit my arm and told me that I wasn't allowed to have friends. She said I wasn't smart enough.

I told her she was being ridiculous. She hit me again. My arm throbbed. I didn't argue with her anymore.

The thing is, the next day Reese showed up at the door after school with three friends behind him. All Mom said was, “Dinner is on the table. Kasen will help you.”

Like I've said before, my mom hates me.

I'm not the son she wanted. She is ashamed of me. But she shouldn't worry any longer. I'm out of her life, surviving on my own. I hope this is what she wants. I bet she'd be happier if I just die today.

I can make that happen, and it may not be such a bad thing.

I turn my attention toward the map. I can see a clear exit. I only have to go down this hallway, make a right toward the elevator, go down to first floor, go through the first hallway I see, make a left, and the door id right there.

Should be easy. But, where do I go from there? I don't even know if I'm still in Chicago. I could be somewhere else in Illinois. There's just no way to tell.

I realize that I'm not wearing my jacket I had on yesterday. The assistants must've taken it off when they strapped me to the table. From what I know, today should be Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving. Meaning it's cold outside.

Great. No jacket...in November...in one of the windiest cities in the United States.

Just great.

Instead of thinking about that issue, I continue on to my destination. I'll figure out my clothing issue after it is actually important.

Right now, all that matters is getting out of this place.