{ the essay }

Rachel was the writing teacher's favorite student. Although the instructor herself never said it, her actions were enough to determine it. Rachel loved Mrs. Odair, and believed they were lost sisters from another mother.

Mrs. Odair had the same red hair as Rachel and her eyes were the same green color. Mrs. Odair also loved painting, reading, and writing.

Today, Rachel was given the task of grading essays. She loved reading about what others thought of a specific topic. It also gave her an idea of the ones who care for school and ones who don't.

Rachel picked up the next essay. It was written by Annabeth Chase. Rachel smiled and prepared herself for what she knew was a 100.

The essay read:

Society is cruel and ugly. It shapes you into what it wants and nothing else. Society is only good for a limited time and when something new comes along, it will forget about you quicker than the blink of your eye.

Rachel already loved the essay and immediately scrribled down a 100. Annabeth was the smartest in the class and had such a way with words.

She didn't bother finishing the rest, knowing she would write her every thought in that paper. Unfortunately, she didn't have time.

Rachel picked up the next paper. The name of the student read Percy Jackson.

Oh no.

Percy was an interesting kid. He always got in trouble for things he didn't do. He is so kind to bullies and fights with his pen. Rachel never told anyone about the secret. It happened one day during winter break. Percy had dropped his pen sword in battle and Rachel rushed over to give it to him. He thanked her and asked her the most absurd question.

"Can you see it?"

Rachel didn't understand what he meant. She responded no and walked away from him and his battle with a giant Titan.

Ever since then, Rachel felt something every time she was near him. It was unexplainable and disturbing. She wasn't liking him. Right?

He had a crush on Annabeth anyway. She was pretty and smart and also fought mythological creatures. They got along well and were alike somehow.

Rachel shook her head and began reading his writing.

Society sucks!

Okay, not so bad as other times...

Society gives you the perfect image of everything. It wants you to live up to its expectations and if you don't, then good luck. It tells you what to wear and what to say and how to be. Why can't we be ourselves? The worse thing about society are the people influencing it. They love making racist, sexist, homophobic, and other disturbing comments okay. What the Hades?! Hell no! They attack you if you aren't a white man. Why can't we just treat each other equal? We can't because Society has been made like this. There is even people who believe its all okay! Let's just all make a difference in this world and stop the negative things. "Oh but we can't. We aren't perfect." Well hell, lets be optimistic here and maybe I dunno TRY. I am so sick of seeing people idolize blonde skinny women because that's the "ideal body/look" I have nothing against blonde thin women but why can't girls just be themselves? Why? Because of the no good horrible dirty rotten society. I really hope this can change. And maybe, just maybe, I can be happy and proud of being called human.

Rachel slams the paper down. She didn't realize the tears falling from her eyes. She wipes them and quickly writes an A+ on the paper.

A man who wants a girl to be herself really exists. Rachel had trouble accepting herself in middle school year and now that she's in high school, her thoughts haven't really changed.

When Rachel finds out there are no more essays left, she gets up and picks up her supplies. Every phrase of Percy Jackson's essay remains in her head and she makes it clear to herself that she likes him.