O N E

Cold wind rushing through the seemingly empty areas was nothing that disturbed the so-called peaceful atmosphere in the world that they lived in. But it wasn't empty. Instead, there was a big community under the earth that no ordinary human knew of, except for those who were born in the deepest depths of the earth. And those were only little of the people that managed to survive the apocalypse that swept away the majority of humanity in the year 2012 due to an unknown virus and vampires taking over. That was what the humans thought.

But the descendants of the Amemori clan knew better than that. Ever since the first shapeshifter was discovered in their family, they made sure to spread this gene as much as possible. Even though it was hard to find more humans during times like these, the estimated number of shapeshifters was at about 200, maybe a little less due to battles against the vampires that just seemed to take over during the past years.

Everyone that managed to shapeshift into a wolf was more powerful than any normal human, in both human and wolf form since their wolves were a lot stronger than the ones that once used to live in the wild. And the rivalry between werewolves and the vampires was like something out of a book, but it existed. However, only a few vampires had ever seen a werewolf before and survived to spread the message. It was a miracle
whenever a vampire defeated a werewolf, however, the victory mostly didn't last for too long. Victory itself brought the thirst for revenge amongst the remaining werewolves. The werewolves and vampires held an ancient grudge which meant that whenever they crossed paths, bloodshed would follow. Few had survived or escaped these so-called 'massacres' on the vampire side though.

Vampires and shapeshifters had the ability to smell one another. Vampires described a werewolf's smell to be like the one of an animal.
Whenever a werewolf was bleeding, the majority assumed that there was an injured dog around. The werewolves, on the other hand, could smell vampires from afar. Their smell was definitely unpleasant to the point where it even started to sting in their noses when one was around. Humans smelled somewhat normal, but they could still be sensed. Sometimes it depended though, some werewolves jokingly said that the smell of a human depended on their intentions. If they were good, their smell was appealing, if not, then they smelled like shit. Whether that was true or not was unknown.

The main reason for the shapeshifters not to work together with the humans to get rid of the enemies that they had in common was the fact that the current leader of the Amemori clan, a young man named Keiji, knew the humans' real motives. At least those of their leaders. And he refused to work together with those who experimented on their own kind to archieve more power. It was disgusting and only made it seem like the only normal kind in this world was the shapeshifters.

In a sense, they were completely normal, but being a werewolf could be a real disadvantage sometimes. Of course they were capable of killing vampires through a single bite, but that didn't mean that they didn't have their own problems. Because they certainly did. Young werewolves tended to transform randomly whenever they only got a little bit too happy, sad, angry etc and that was honestly tiring to watch. It was like this gene only triggered their emotions to take the upper hand when they were done. And it seemed like a blessing to have the ability to shapeshift from time to time, but sometimes it really turned out to be the opposite, what one would refer to as a curse.

But the werewolves identity had been completely hidden from the humans that were still around, except for those that accidentally ended up finding their secret spot underneath the earth. Finding it was already hard enough because it meant climbing down a hole that really was something else. Most humans that were sensed approaching left immediately when they spotted the ladder, simply because it could lead to who-knew-where. And no one really liked mysteries, right?

Well, the shapeshifters were just about to be proven wrong by the JIDA soldiers that were standing in front of the seemingly boring entrance. Boring but definitely mysterious. It seemed like the nowhere seemed rather appealing to them, because the leader of this unit, a young man with black hair and purple eyes, had soon started climbing down the ladder, quickly followed by their squad mates.