Humanity

I don't know what this world has come too. I don't know when we started playing Judge and Jury but humans seem to have adapted to it as if it were a natural occurence.

But how does one just wake up one morning and decide to end another's life?

No matter what the person did, is it really fair for us to decide to end their life? When did we start to live by the saying 'an eye for an eye'.

I don't even know why I feel this way about it. What Justin and his group were going to do deserves death but I just can't come to terms with my group, my family, taking another living human's life.

Would that make us any less human than the monsters that Justin had been with? I can't bring myself to accept my group is willing to murder even if it's to protect us.

"I've thought long and hard about this. I don't see any other way around it. If he manages to find his group again, then we aren't safe here." The guilt clear shown across his tired face, "He knows Maggie and Hershel. I just don't see how we can get around that."

Interrupted from my thoughts, I glance around a very quiet group.

"I'm not okay with that and neither is Harley." Dale snaps at everyone.

There was so much more guilt in the room than there was tension. I could feel it, flowing off everyone. No one could sit still or look at another person. It was as if the decision in everyone's mind had been made but were too scared to speak it.

I could feel the eyes of those who had already made their decision and accepted it.

"Well, HJ, speak up." Lori remarks firmly.

I glance at Lori before I allow my gaze to wonder around the room one more time. It was obvious that Justin is going to die whether I speak my mind or not.

"It doesn't matter what I say, the decision is made in each of your minds. You all know where I stand on this. Justin is-" I stop, imagines flashing through my mind, "was a dear friend of mine. I think what you're planning on doing is only going to hurt us in the long run."

"You're? So are you planning on leaving us? Again." Andrea jumps in.

"I'm still part of this group but I will have no part of this decision." I add, turning back to the window.

The group went back and furth for a few more mintures about this but I refused to listen to it. I was on the fence about murdering Justin but even if it were someone I didn't know I hope I would feel this way.

"Alright! Let's just take today to think it over." Rick finally cuts in.

I don't even spare anyone a glance as I push myself from my chair and vacate the house. I needed to think this through myself. I have to be on one side or the other, not straddling the fence.

At least not about this.

I wonder around for sometime before I find myself standing in front of the barn doors where Justin was being held captive. I knew I couldn't walk into the front of the barn not without the keys to the open the lock that Rick had put on the barn.

I glance around to see that no one was paying attention to me. I make my way around the back of the barn and climb to the upper level where Hershel stores bushes of hay. I pull myself through the window before sititng back down on the seal.

I let one of my legs hang out of the window as I stare out into the forest. Occassionally I would glance over at Justin who was propped up against the wall with his hands tied behind his back. He's handcuffed to a near by pipe, making it impossible to try and escape. Duck tape covers his eyes, leaving him only able to hear certain things.