Meaning Behind the Peony

Soo lost count of how many different sights she had seen on the journey. It seemed like every other day she was greeted with something she had never seen before. Every village or town was different, and so were its people. She enjoyed interacting with everyone, and learning more about their daily lives. Casually, she would also ask them if they had any complaints, or requests they wished the King would fulfill.

So and their guards also did this while interacting with the villagers, taking note of what problems they could bring back to King Hyejong, so that it could be resolved. There were some days where they would stay a little longer at each village, just so they could help the townspeople build a new house, or even help anyone with their farming chores. In return, they would be provided shelter for a night's rest, or more food to last them on their journey.

Soo's favorite part about visiting new villages or towns, was being able to learn more about medicinal herbs, or new ways to create beauty products. Baek Ah had gifted her with a beautifully bound notebook, so she could record her notes during their journey. Whenever she learned of a new herb, or a new treatment, she would draw or jot down her notes. Although she tried to write in Hanja, sometimes she resorted to modern Hangeul because she was more familiar with that, and was able to write much faster and efficiently. One night as she was perusing through her latest notes, So sat down next to her, opening up his own notebook, one in which he recorded the day's events, and any issues that arose from talking to the villagers.

"Soo ya," he said as he leaned over her shoulder to take a look at her notes.

She jumped slightly at his proximity, not noticing how close he had gotten while she was engrossed with her notes.

"Yes?"

"What are those characters? That is not Hanja, is it?"

Soo felt a little nervous, realizing this was probably the first time So had seen her writing, and she wondered if it would be alright if she taught him modern Korean characters.

"It's a more simplified form of Hanja. I made it up when I was younger so I could write faster."

It was a major fib, and she hoped the future King Se Jong would not punish her for lying about the form of writing he had invented.

"Really? How does it work?"

And so the rest of the night was spent with her teaching him how to write in Hangeul. She hoped that it would not alter history too much, considering how Hangeul was created in 1443 by King Se Jong, at least half a century in the future from now. How was it that she remembered that, and barely anything from Goryeo? Anything would have helped her greatly in this time.

It was a couple of days later when So brought her up into the mountains, where the air was fresher, more crisp. They eventually arrived at a small temple, where a few monks resided. It was there where their team decided to rest for the day. Luckily, Soo was also able to learn a few new concoctions from the monks, which were used for their aching joints and fatigue. When So had learned there was a treatment for joints, he immediately sat down next to her and took his own notes.

"So ya, when have you been interested in medicine?"

"If they can help with your knee, or anything for your health, then I must learn about it."

She smiled and looked over his shoulder at his notes, surprised that he was writing in Hangeul.

"So ya...you're not writing in Hanja?"

She was amazed to see how fast he had picked up the new language, but wasn't surprised given the intellect So possessed. Furthermore, it almost made her jealous at how neat and elegant his handwriting was.