Chapter 2: Elizabeth

There had always been this sinking feeling that something would go wrong eventually. It seemed like the grace period that Aubrey and I had was a short blessing. As I thought about it again, I was disappointed in myself for believing that everything would be perfect forever. I should have known; it was a lesson I had learned too many times in the past.

I listened as Aubrey's message replayed on my phone. Something was definitely wrong; I could tell that much from her tone and her choice of words. I wasn't just being paranoid. I knew something was wrong, but I tried to keep my cool because I was with Robert. The last thing I wanted to do was make my boyfriend worry while we were spending time together. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see him watching me as I pressed the phone to my ear. It was hard to concentrate with him there, but I knew that this was something major.

"Hey, I need to talk to you. Please, call me back," she had said.

I set the phone down and took a few deep breaths because I knew that I had to calm down first. Robert set a reassuring hand on mine, making me instantly feel a tad better.

"What's wrong?" he asked, trying to keep his tone light. I couldn't even look at him. As much as I wanted to tell him, I wasn't sure if I really wanted to burden him with my problems again.

"It's really nothing," I lied, "I just need to call Aubrey back. Will you give me a minute?"

He nodded, and I couldn't tell if he could see right through me or not. He just gave my hand a squeeze and then let go so I could leave. Even though I felt guilty about lying to him, it was something that he would do better to not hear about. My heart was heavy with dread as I waited for Aubrey to pick up her phone.

"Hey," she finally answered, her voice hard to read.

"Is everything okay?" I asked. I took a deep breath to brace myself. There was only silence on the other end; my heart dropped.

"Elizabeth, I went to the doctor today..."

"What? Tell me what happened. Are you okay?"

"Look, calm down. You might wanna sit down if you're not already," she said.

She was scaring me, but I did as she asked and took a seat at one of the chairs in the kitchen. I wondered what this could possibly be about. A million different ideas ran through my mind, but I could only pinpoint that whatever news she had, it wasn't good.

"Aubrey, just tell me what it is."

"I'm dying," she said. At first, I thought she was serious but then realized she was just kidding.

"Nice try, Aub. Now, tell me what's really wrong," I laughed, still not willing to admit that she had gotten me with her little joke.

"Elizabeth... I'm not joking."

My breath caught in my throat. I was speechless, but all I could think about was that this couldn't be happening. Aubrey was too young to die; we had so much left to do! So, I said the only thing that could come out of my mouth.

"No. No, no, no, NO!" I screamed. My tears were blurring my vision, but I was determined to not let that faze me because I needed to stay strong.

"Elizabeth, are you okay?" she asked.

"Aubrey. Why?"

"What do you mean?" she asked, sounding confused.

"I mean, why are you..." I stopped because I couldn't bring myself to say it. It was too soon to accept anything. Maybe there was a cure! All that Aubrey would have to undergo was treatment.

"Why am I dying? That's what I thought too. The doctor said that at this rate, there is no cure. Even if they give me all the treatment they can offer, I still have about three months left to live. That's why I'm not doing it. Any of it. The surgery. The treatment. I have to take nearly thirty pills a day, just to keep my body in check!" she explained.

"Aubrey, you can't just not get the treatment. Take the best they can give you. YOU HAVE TO LIVE!" I yelled at her through the phone. She didn't say anything, and that was when I realized that the last thing I had said to her wasn't just for her sake but more of for mine.

"I'm sorry, Elizabeth. I just can't anymore. I'm still going to take those pills, but I don't wanna limit myself to a hospital bed for the rest of my life. You get what I'm saying? Anyway, I need to go now. I'll talk to you later, babe. Bye."

"Aubrey," I screamed at her, "Aubrey! Wait, no. You can't do this. Aubrey, talk to me!"

But she was gone. The other end of the line was dead silent, like she would be in three months. I threw the phone across the room, hearing it hit the wall with a loud thud. The only thing I remember was crying and crying continuously before Robert came in.

"Elizabeth! What's going on? What's wrong babe?" he asked, pulling me into his arms.

I didn't answer him because I couldn't. Instead, I just wrapped my arms around his waist and soaked his shirt with tears; he stroked my head, holding me tight until the tears wouldn't come anymore. Even then, my heart was crying as I asked God why this had happened, why He would take her away from me. It then reoccurred to me that no one deserved this, so maybe that was why life decided to throw it at us all.