Chapter 8

Chapter Eight

He walks towards the right path, and the man ushers me to the left but I stay frozen. Harry looks back and raises his eyebrows at my frozen figure, before walking back over and slinging his arm over my shoulders. I don't attempt to move away from him this time. "We'll go together." He tells the man and he nods. He walks us down the right path, the sky now dark. The only light we have is the moon and the rare light post they have set up around the maze. His arm stays over my shoulders, fingertips squeezing my arm every so often. We stop as we come to a fork in the path. "Right or left?" He asks, looking down at me. I glance down each path, neither looking very appealing to me. They're both dark and creepy. "I don't know... You choose." I tell him. He steers us to the left. About half way down I get an eery feeling, and find myself moving closer into Harry's body.

Harry holds me close to him when suddenly a man appears around the corner. He stays still, and for a moment I wonder if he's just a scarecrow. Then suddenly he jumps out at us as we walk by, making strange noises and moving towards me with his arms reached out. I jump, attempting to move back but Harry holds me, pulling me so closely to him that I wrap my arm around his back. "Harry.." I murmur as he steers us around the creepy man. "It's okay, you're alright" He assures me, and I try to labor my breathing.

We get further into the maze and I don't let go of Harry. He doesn't seem to mind as I cling to him, my hand tightly gripping the back of his jacket and his arm still around me.

A few more people jump out at us from inside the corn, but I don't feel quite as scared as I did before. Maybe it's because I know they won't actually hurt me, or maybe because I have a feeling that even if they wanted to; Harry wouldn't let them.

We near the end of the maze and I quickly pull my arm from Harry. I attempt to move away from him, but he pulls me back into him. I stumble when he pulls me back, my hand landing on his chest as I steady myself. I'm quick to straighten back up, but not before giving him a glare. I try to get his arm off of me but he doesn't budge. He looks down at me as I look up at him, and I'm caught off guard by the closeness of our faces. "What are you doing?" I mumble, unable to take my eyes off of his. He faintly smiles, before replying "I quite like being close to you."

I force my eyes away from his as we walk back to the SUV. He opens the door again, and I flinch when I feel his hand on my hip guiding me into the car. Once we're both buckled in, he backs up and turns around, heading back the way we came. I check my phone. It's only 7pm, but it's dark out. Once again we stay silent, until we're back on the highway.

"You know, you could have told me you scare easily when it comes to Halloween." He says. I look over and expect him to smirk or laugh, but he doesn't. "I wasn't scared.." I mumble, biting my lip. "Did you know you mumble whenever you lie?" He asks. I bite my lip to keep from smiling, because I know it's true. "Your smile's cute." I look over to him, amazed that he just said that. He doesn't look over though, and his face stays pretty neutral.

Overall, the night wasn't so bad I guess. Besides being scared half to death, Harry made me feel better and I guess I had an alright time. He made me feel safe, in some strange way. When we finally pull up to Louis' flat, Harry walks me to the door. We stop right before it, and I'm not sure what to do. On normal dates, the boy would usually kiss the girl goodnight. But this date was far from normal.

"I had a good time tonight." Harry says, interrupting my thoughts. I smile and glance at my feet. "I guess you could say that.." When I look up again Harry is much closer. He keeps his hands at his sides, inching his face closer to mine. I watch as his eyelids flutter closed, his lips coming dangerously close to mine when I come to my senses. I move my hand up, pressing my fingertips to Harry's lips. His eyes shoot open, and he slowly pulls back, tilting his head to the side in confusion.

"You don't get to kiss me because this wasn't a proper date." A grin erupts on Harry's gorgeous features as he crosses his arms. "How so?" "Because you asked Louis. Not me." I turn to reach for the doorknob but Harry grabs me, spinning me back to face him. "So you're saying, that if I had asked you myself you would have let me kiss you?" I'm very aware of his hands located on my both of my hips, the heat radiating off of our bodies acting like a magnet and pulling us closer. "Maybe" I whisper, reaching a hand behind me blindly and twisting the door knob open. I pull away from him and Harry releases my hips.

Rain begins to fall, and Harry shakes his head as the droplets hit his hair. "Goodnight Harry."

"Goodnight Zoey." He leans in, pressing a lingering kiss to my cheek. My skin feels like it's caught fire as he pulls away, jogging to his vehicle. I shut the door, spinning around and resting my back against it. Louis emerges from the bathroom and I pray that my cheeks aren't bright pink.

"Well?" He asks, plopping down on the couch. "How'd it go?" I take a seat beside him, tucking my legs up and clicking the button on the remote; turning on the tv. "Alright" I flip a few channels, stopping on some cheesy comedy movie. "That's it? Alright?" "Yes Louis, alright." He sighs. "Whatever you say."