Chapter Eight

A faint blue light blinked on the screen, nestled between a field and a string of abandoned buildings on the outskirts of town. My brain went into overdrive with calculations and plans, committing the location to memory, but as quickly as it appeared, it was gone.

"Raelyn," Josh started, reaching for my shaking hands.

"I prayed that he just got loose." I fought the angry tears threatening to fall. "This wasn't supposed to happen."

He kneeled in front of me, whispering, "Deep breaths. We're going to get him back. Those bastards won't know what hit 'em."

I covered my face with my hands. "If something happens to him—"

"Nothing will. They're terrible, but they're smart. They'll use him as a bargaining chip."

For whatever their plan was.

Squeezing my shoulders, he stood up. "I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you need a few days to heal."

I glared at him.

"You go in there now and you're both dead."

His words made my stomach flip. Noah and I ran for years with that thought haunting us, keeping us from staying in one place too long and from trusting anyone. Everything I did was to keep us alive, and in a single night, all of that meant nothing.

Josh tucked me into bed after I begrudgingly agreed to rest. He said he'd rummage through the remains of my flat whilst I slept, as if there would be anything worth salvaging. The only thing I truly wanted more than likely went up in flames with the rest of my belongings.

But nothing could make me forget the smiling faces of our once-happy family, whether I had the picture or not.

*****

After a much needed nap, I found Vikk and JJ in the lounge, along with a handful of confused men. A few of their faces stuck out to me from the few times I caved and searched my brother's name. I knew of his success as soon as he made it big on the internet, but I couldn't bring myself to watch any of his videos or read any in-depth articles.

Vikk met me at the door, quickly introducing me to the room full of guys.

"She's staying with us!" JJ beamed, winking at me from the corner seat of the sofa.

"Why haven't we met you before?" one asked, crossing his bulky arms over his chest. Vikk introduced him as Ethan, but he looked nothing like the comedic relief I remembered researching years ago.

I locked eyes with Simon, who frowned before turning to Harry and whispering something.

"Josh and I fell off a couple years ago and only reconnected recently," I rattled off, forcing a smile as I tore my eyes from Simon.

That seemed to satisfy Ethan because the conversation shifted from me to plans for the night.

"Sorry about them," Vikk whispered as he led me to an empty seat on the sofa. "They're all a little . . . stupid."

"Screw you, too!" Harry yelped, glaring at Vikk before looking at me. "We're not stupid, just curious. You're a girl."

Lifting a brow, I stared down the front of my shirt then shrugged. "Looks that way."

Ethan whooped with laughter, nudging JJ until he smacked him back and screamed bloody murder. Soon, the entire room was involved in the slap match, betting on who would cave first and laughing at every underhanded move.

Shaking my head, I stood to leave but stopped in my tracks when Simon waved at me and pointed to the hall.

I felt the anxiety bubble, but I refused to show it in front of any of them, especially Simon.