Another Contest Entry

Rose-Tinted Glasses

She stood at the edge of the bridge, and stared off into the constellations. Memories of who she was flowed through her mind, and escaped through the back.

It was never easy to survive all that life throws at you when all you could think of were the mistakes you made and will make. She had tried, she really did, but no matter what, she couldn't bring herself to tell anyone anything. She simply couldn't. When she moved, her mind screamed, yelling at her all that she was doing wrong.

When they came to help her, all her strain left.

They were there to keep her mind at rest, to make sure she was okay, to comfort her when things went wrong, and to ask the questions she was too scared to ask. They stood by her and made sure she was strong, especially when she wasn't. She would look at the world through her new, rose-tinted glasses, and now nothing was wrong.

They had always been there, until they weren't.

When they left her proud of their work. She stood tall. At least until the voices came seeping into the back of her skull.

She gripped her hair, and realized just what she had been doing for the past six months, and pointed out every small flaw, though she tried not to.

Her rose-tinted glasses fell. She saw it all as it truly was.

She flushed red and ran as far as she could till she found the bridge. Her thoughts were screaming at her, scolding her for not thinking. Her feet stumbled around as she tried to stop the howls of anger within her.

All of a sudden, it all went quiet. Not all gone, but it was smaller. She looked at the stars, and simply thought.

Her knees gave way and she tipped off the edge.

For the first time, all the voices were silent. This was peace.

sooo this is another short story contest I entered.

316 words