10

"Emery."

"R-Rivers."

"..."

"Um...have a seat."

[sits down]

"You look fine. Just like I remembered."

"You look great too."

"Um, thanks."

"Emery. You may not remember, but two years ago, when I was still in Creekside High School, you saved my life."

"What? No, when did I-"

"There was this kid in the football team, who was all brawn and no brain. His name was Howard Greenfelds. He got mad one day because the whole football team was teasing him about something stupid he'd done. And the thing is, I was the one who initiated the teasing. So, he caught me when I was alone at my locker and started punching me and kicking me. There was this crowd that gathered, but no one was coming forward to help me. They were all just staring, or using their phones to film the fight. I would have gotten beaten until I could never see the sun again. Howard was stronger than me, you see, stronger than everyone in the school. But even so, you weren't afraid. You came into the fight, hit him on the head with your waterbottle. And then you did some crazy kicking moves."

"Martial arts. I learnt martial arts back then."

"Yeah, and you drove Howard away and saved my life. That was the day I started liking you."

"...okay. But what are you trying to say?"

"I'm trying to say that I don't care that you're in this hospital right now. I don't care that we can't hang out like other teenagers. I didn't start liking you because you had good grades or you could do crazy martial arts stuff. I like you because you're kind and you're brave and you're an amazing person. Who cares if you're here?"

"You should care, Rivers."

"But why?"

"Because I don't know, Rivers, I don't know whether I'm going to live a long time! I don't know what's going to happen to me. I have this illness and it's not something good, it's not something you would like after dealing with it, or rather with me, for a long time. And I guess, I guess I'm just really scared that you'll..."

"That I will?"

"That you'll leave."

"Like your friends? Did they leave you? Is that why they don't come to visit you?"

"No. I didn't want to have a possibility of them leaving me in the future. So I told them my family was moving away when in reality, all we did was move to the cheaper side of town while I moved in here. But I'm just scared that you will leave."

"Emery, do you know how long I wished that you liked me back? And now you're saying that you do like me back. After waiting for such a long time, I'm not gonna just leave."

"..."

"I won't leave you. I'll never leave you. I'll stay as long as you want me to. As long as you need me to."

"That'll be selfish of me."

"But I want it too. I want to be with you, Emery. So please, let me. I promise I won't leave you."

"But what if-"

"Whatever happens, I'll be here. I'll be here for you."

[takes Emery's hand]

"I really do like you."

"I really do like you too."

"But-"

"I know it's going to be hard. But I'm willing to try. If you're there with me."

"Really?"

"Yes."

"Well..."

"Emery. Will you be my girlfriend?"

"...yes. Yes, I will."

☮️ - ☮️

was this too rushed?? one more chapter! and wow the last chapter was published so long ago ahaha

-ohkayed