Chapter 4 - Part 2

His kiss did not set me on fire. This was what I wanted.

"So where do you want to go on our next date?" he asked when he pulled away slightly.

I rested my hands against his hard chest. I liked that he was confident and sure of himself. I didn't like guys I could walk all over.

"You can choose," I said. "I had a great time tonight."

He was easy to be around. I didn't have to keep my guard up. With him, there was no vulnerability. I was in complete control and it made me feel secure, not like I was free-falling without a parachute.

While he drove I stared out the window, watching the street lights and trying my best to keep my full attention on the moment instead of back in my memories, searching for precious moments with the tattooed boy whom I couldn't stop thinking about.

I pulled myself back to the present. I gave Steven a side-glance to remind me of the one I should be thinking about.

This had been our second date. The next date would be our third date. I got a slightly nervous tug in the pit of my stomach when I thought about that. It wasn't that he wasn't good-looking, because he was. The problem was it wasn't working on me. But I had to move on from Slater and this was the only way I knew how.

Like a gentleman, Steven opened the car door for me when we arrived back at the apartment. His hand rested on the small of my back as he led me inside the building and to the elevators.

He saw me to the apartment. I unlocked the door and opened it.

"So when can I see you again?" he asked when I turned to face him. He took my hands in his.

I could have invited him in for coffee but I didn't feel comfortable inviting him into the apartment when I knew Sin would still be there. I didn't want a repeat of the awkwardness from earlier that evening.

"How about next weekend?" I suggested.

"Sure," he said.

He pulled me closer by his hold on my hands. I smiled seductively at him, looking up at him as I stepped closer. He leaned forward and gently pressed his lips to mine.

It was a simple kiss and he smiled as he let me go.

"I'll call you during the week to make plans," he assured me before he turned to leave.

I stood and watched him disappear down the hallway before I went inside the apartment.

*******

The next morning I wasn't surprised to see Sin standing in just his jeans waiting for the kettle to boil. He had bed-hair that could still make girls drool.

"Morning," I said as I joined him in the kitchen, needing caffeine to get me going.

He reached for an extra mug and set it down beside two other mugs, which I assumed were for him and Taylor. He leaned against the counter and folded his arms across his chest.

"Hi," he replied. His eyes studied me, making me feel like he was taking a closer look than usual. I wasn't sure what he was looking for.

"What?" I asked.

"How was your date?" he asked.

I shrugged. I didn't really want to go into details but there was still a part of me that wanted Slater to know I wasn't staying at home and moping over him anymore.

"It was good."

"Where did you meet him?"

"Around campus."