CHAPTER EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT

★ ★ ★ ★

DECEMBER, 1941

It was the next morning when I woke up. The bright honey yellow and orange morning sun shined inch by inch through the window. I opened my eyes slowly being met with a floral wallpaper covered wall.

I sighed as I rolled onto my back staring up at the ceiling. I reached up and touched my rosy cheeks to feel dried up tears. Then all my memories on what happened yesterday came back to me.

After I told Emma, Victor, and Abe about Bobby and William I started to fall asleep. After all my crying I wasn't surprised that I went to sleep. Once I laid down and closed my eyes I felt Emma put a blanket on top of me. Then her, Victor, and Abe walked out of the room.

I felt stupid for crying in front of people but I couldn't help it. I hated looking sad when people are around.

Just then a noise from the left of me caught my attention. I turned my head towards the noise to see Emma shutting her closet vanity door. A dress laid in her arms as she looked towards me with a smile. Her blonde hair was a bit frizzy from sleep and her eyes looked tired.

"Are you alright?" Asked Emma making me nod a little towards her, wiping the dried up tears.

"Yes, I just don't feel good at the moment. I think I came down with something so I might have to miss breakfast" I half lied making Emma look towards me skeptically squinting her eyes.

But Emma sighed in response nodding her head. She knew she couldn't do anything to get me to go down stairs today. Emma knew I needed at least a day alone.

"Well alright. I'll tell Miss. Peregrine that you feel a little under the weather and won't be joining us" said Emma as she then walked towards the door and opened it. "I hope you feel better Johanna"

We then gave each other a smile. But Emma's was more sympathetic while mine was a light one. Once Emma walked out of the room I sighed turning back onto my back to look at the ceiling.

I then lifted up my hand and made a beautiful white snowflake in my hand. I smiled a little as I twirled the snowflake between my pale fingers. As I twirled the snowflake around my fingers I admired the beauty of it.

Just then there was a knock on the door making me lose my concentration with the snowflake. The snowflake then disappeared making me look sad at the loss of the beautiful snowflake.

"Who is it?" I called as my eyes fixed on the door, waiting for an answer.

"It's Charlie" called a voice on the other side making me sigh in relief.