16 Roadkill: Part 1

February 22nd, 2007

Sam and Dean had stumbled across a case about two spirits who had caused twelve accidents over fifteen years on Highway 41. Molly McNamara and her husband, David, had been traveling when they hit Jonah Greeley and then swerved and crashed on the side of the road. David had been the only one to survive the accident, so Sam and Dean had gone to talk to him about Molly. They had found out that Molly had been cremated. There was also no one they could talk to about Greeley because his wife had disappeared shortly after he died. So, the only choice we had was to drive down Highway 41 on the anniversary of their deaths to find some way to put an end to the haunting.

Suddenly, a woman ran out into the road right in front of us. "Stop! Stop!" she yelled as she waved her arms.

I quickly realized that the woman was Molly, the woman who had been causing the accidents.

Dean slammed on the breaks. "Holy!"

"You have to help me!" Molly yelled.

"I don't think she knows she's dead," Sam said softly.

Molly ran over to Sam's window and started banging on it. "Please! Open up! Please!"

"Okay, okay!" Sam rolled down his window. "All right, all right. Just calm down. Tell us what happened."

The three of us got out of the car to listen to her story.

"There was a man in the middle of the road, and I— I swerved, a— and we crashed," Molly stuttered, "And when I came to, the car was wrecked, and my husband was missing. I went looking for him, but that's when the man from the road, he— he started chasing me."

"Did he look like he lost a fight with a lawnmower?" Dean asked.

Sam gave Dean a sharp look.

Molly furrowed her brow. "How did you know that?"

Dean shrugged. "Lucky guess."

"Ma'am, what's your name?" Sam asked.

"Molly. Molly McNamara," she said.

The three of us exchanged looks because she was exactly who we had been looking for.

"I think maybe you should come with us. We'll take you back into town," Sam said.

Molly shook her head. "I can't. I have to find David. He might have gone back to the car."

"We should get you somewhere safe first. Then the three of us will come back. We'll look for your husband," Sam said.

"No. I'm not leaving here without him. Would you just take me back to my car, please?" Molly asked.

Sam nodded. "Of course. Come on."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The four of us piled into the Impala and drove down the road until Molly pointed to where she believed her car was. We got out and followed Molly into the woods.

"It's right over there." Molly pointed, but there was nothing at the bottom when we looked over the edge of the hill. "I don't understand. I'm sure this is where it was. W— We hit that tree right there. This— This doesn't make any sense." She walked down to investigate, we stayed behind, knowing she wasn't going to find anything.

"Dean, we got to get out of here. Greeley could show up at any second," Sam whispered.

"What are you gonna tell her?" Dean asked.

Sam shrugged. "The truth?"

Dean shook his head. "She's gonna take off running in the other direction."