Chapter 3: Confessions

Two weeks into summer, after 10th grade, Chris invited me to join him and his parents on their annual trip. This year it was to Kauai, one of Hawaii's many beautiful islands. He told me he really wanted me to go with him, so I happily accepted. After begging my parents to let me go, of course.

After what felt like forever on Jet Blue's plane, Chris's family and I headed over to our makeshift home. We had to take two trips because of a baggage delay. Typical. Since Chris's parents had a successful year in real estate, they rented out an awesome beach house overlooking a stunning cliff.

As soon as we arrived, Chris's parents told us to go explore. They said something about Chris wanting to take me somewhere special this year because we were such great friends. I began to get suspicious.

"Chris, this place is amazing. I can't believe that we get to spend two whole weeks here! This is going to be terrific!" I wanted to live here forever, trapped in this enchanting place. The high raised ceilings with a palm trim, enormous crystal windows, elegant kitchen with white marble counters and black cabinets, living room equipped with a flat-screen TV, a huge couch, and a palm wood table with a bowl of fresh assorted fruits... Everything was so amazing! This place was so different than my house back in Tampa!

"Come on, let's go check out the back."

When we went out through the French doors, I felt a slight ocean breeze hit my face. It whipped my hair and loose shirt back, making me feel relaxed. I followed Chris out back to the porch. As I looked around, I saw a garden filled with herbs, vegetables, and toppling palm trees filled with coconuts. The grass was a dark green, and tickling my bare toes.

Chris grabbed a ripe green coconut and tried to open it. He hit the coconut against the palm tree repeatedly, opening it, and handed a piece to me. We headed back into the kitchen, the house eerily silent, with a few bumps coming from upstairs. Chris's parents were still here. I still see the Jeep outside. This is weird, I thought. Chris is usually more chatty, but it looks like he has something on his mind.

We finish our coconut milk, putting the remains in the fridge. Afterward, he walked over to the balcony, which had been built over the cliff. It squeaked a bit when we walked over to the railing, making me nervous. I saw Christian give me a reassuring glance. I smiled back at him, but I was still worried it was gonna give out from underneath us.

I touched the railing, feeling it with my palms and fingertips. Smooth palm, again. They must have an infinite amount of palm here. I looked up, staring out at the stuff beyond the cliff.

"Wow," I breathed.

I could hear the crashing waves against the rocks, the seagulls cry over the ocean, and the wind shaking the trees at the bottom of the cliff. I saw the sunset, with its glittering rays of red and yellow over the ocean. This place made me feel like I was living in a painting, with all its beauty and elegance.

I pull away from the beauty in front of me and look at Chris, studying his face. He looked sad almost. I wonder why. This place is too beautiful to be sad about.

I put my hand on his arm, sliding my hand down to his hand. He looked over at me and held my hand. He leaned over, and our lips met. I was shocked. I looked at him, then closed my eyes as he pulled me closer to him. I wrapped both of my arms around his neck and kissed back. I wondered how long he had wanted to kiss me. I guess the rumors were true. All those years we've been best friends, all those silly jokes he made about me. I started to feel a bit light headed so I slowly pulled away. I looked at him.

"Chris..." I muttered.

"You don't know how long..." I cut him off, putting my finger to his lips.