Revelation

"Why now..." Pearl mumbled. She buried her hands in her face with sheer humiliation. Amethyst chuckled at her reaction. "So how long has this little affair been going on?" She lazily gestured at both of them. "That's none of your business." She spat coldly. There was no longer any point in trying to deny their romance. "Pshhht... were you trying to keep this a secret or something? We were going to figure it out eventually. Better sooner than later on tonight, if you know what I mean." Her eyebrows wriggled suggestively. "Why you little..!" She shrieked, making a threatening fist at Amethyst. Garnet stuck an arm out in front of Pearl to restrain her. "Keep your anger under control, Pearl. She didn't mean to interrupt us. And Amethyst, your immature remarks are unnecessary. The only person you're entertaining is yourself."  She advised. "I don't get it." Amethyst growled in a low tone. "I don't get why you think you're so wise when you're the one kissing up to this asshole." Garnet's muscles tensed with rage. "Watch your language. Steven doesn't need to hear your profanity." Her voice held the edge of a steel blade. "So all of the sudden you're concerned about Steven?" Amethyst snapped. "Being concerned about Steven happens to be my job. It's yours too, so I suggest that you start improving your attitude." Her tone remained rigid. "Stop using my words against me!" She stomped her foot against wooden surface of the deck. "You'd better be lucky I'm not using my fists against you-" Garnet was abruptly interrupted by Steven pushing himself in the midst of the three gems. "stop!! I can't stand to see you all fight like this! We are The Crystal Gems... protectors of the earth. We literally carry the weight of the world on our shoulders. Every living thing on the face of the planet unknowingly depends on our heroism. But how are we supposed save everyone when we're constantly bickering with each other over petty situations like this? It's just not what any sane hero would do. So please.. for the sake of the Earth and for the sake of each other's safety... stop fighting. Anger never gets anyone closer to harmony." Steven's face appeared red and flustered when he finished speaking. "He has a point." Amethyst's angered expression relaxed slightly. He shrugged. "I was just stating the obvious." Garnet's taut muscles slackened. "We'll talk later." She glared at Amethyst before storming through the threshold of The Temple. "I think it would be best to have some time alone." Pearl stiffly uttered in a constrained attempt to discipline her words. A sense of numbness spread throughout her as she absentmindedly followed Garnet through the door. "Garnet! W-wait..." she stumbled into the living room and caught Garnet by her shirt sleeve just before she opened the sliding metal door that led to all of their rooms. "I-" Garnet held up her hand in a silent interruption. "Save your words for later." She placed a perspiring hand on Pearl's upper arm. "I didn't see this coming... if I had only foreseen this predicament in our futures then I would've found a solution. I-I could've prevented this.. but I was so blinded by the bliss of the present that I couldn't see what was to come." Pearl caressed the tips of her fingers. "I should take some of the blame for this occurrence too. After all, I was the distraction that caused you to lose sight of what should've been our main priority. I guess you could say we're both at a fault." Garnet nodded in agreement. "Our attraction to each other is risky... but I refuse to consider any second thoughts on it." She pressed her lips against Pearl's forehead momentarily. Heat immediately flared up on her face resulting from the hasty contact. "I need some solitude to reflect on the recent events but I'd like to see you later on.. meet me outside when the sun begins to set." "That sounds delightful." She replied eagerly. Garnet turned to leave but was stopped yet again by Pearl's voice. "You know... It's nice to finally have something new happening in this dull city."