soulmate

Imagine a world where, from the moment you were born, you only saw things in black and white. The only way you could ever see in color is when you met your soulmate. The first time you make eye contact with them, a few colors bloom. As your relationship grows, you see more and more colors, until, eventually, everything is in color. Bright, vibrant, color.

Riley's POV

From the moment I first saw him, I became interested. The first time I looked into his eyes, I saw something. It was something I couldn't describe. Bright, and beautiful. It was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen. And it'd all happened at 5 years old, by the cause of Farkle Minkus. That's what kept me mesmerized.
What was so special about this boy? Why could something so simple, such as eye contact, create something so wonderful? I never figured it out. Until the eighth grade.
In eighth grade, they explain to us why we only see in black and white. That there are other colors, we just haven't discovered them yet. Or have we?
They say that when you first make eye contact with your soulmate, it creates a spark. Something ticks, and a burst of color appears for the first time. As your relationship grows, you see more and more in color, until your entire world is complete in beautiful color.
Now I knew why I saw so much so differently than others. I knew why some things looked more attractive than others. I had already met my soulmate. It was Farkle Minkus.

After school, I told Farkle to meet me in my bay window. I had to tell him about this. Did he see it, too? Was what they told us the truth?
"Hey, Riles." Farkle interrupted my thoughts as he slid through my bedroom window, swiftly sitting down.
"Hey, Farkle!" I replied back. I couldn't believe this was going to be discussed. Farkle Minkus was my soulmate. "I need to talk to you about something."
"You know I'm always here to listen, Riley." Farkle comforted me and rested his hand on my shoulder for a second.
"Do you remember what they talked about today? Ever since we've first made eye contact, I've seen it. It's grown more and more as we've grown up. Do you see it, too?" I tried to imply as much as I could that I was talking about color.
"See what?" He was confused. Now I was nervous. He was my soulmate, surely I was his, right?
"The color." I had to be hopeful. I had to be his soulmate.
"No, Riley, I don't know what you're talking about. I see in black and white, just like everyone else. I don't see in color until I meet my soul..." Farkle stopped mid sentence.
"Riley..." My heart sunk. He was my soulmate, but I wasn't his? Is this even possible?

A/N: This is actually a really sad Riarkle chapter, but I saw this idea on Instagram and just had to use it. ❤️
Have a lovely day!