Summer Loving

I tiptoed to Vincent’s room decked in a white, cotton dress and white high tops. The dress ended just above the knee, leaving the majority of my pink and scabby road rash completely visible—something that I wasn’t quite comfortable with—but there was nothing I could do. Wearing something that would cover it up would only irritate it.

            Today was my second day home from the hospital after being forced to stay for the longest week of my life since waking from the coma. I left against doctor’s orders, though I had James’ permission.

            Vincent spent most of his time with me at the hospital, leaving only to sleep and spend some time with his change-of-heart brother. Zach came to visit a few times, too, along with Caleb, Jacob, Michael, and Walter. Rebecca brought me flowers and got the chance to see the side of the twins she had only ever heard about. She was amazed. Lucas came to see me one other time.

            On Lucas’ only other visit to the hospital, he showed up when I was away getting some kind of scans. I returned as Vincent was making sure Lucas would make himself busy on the day that was the present—today, the day I found myself silently sneaking to Vincent’s room.

            On this day—the most momentous of all days—Vincent and I would be going on our very first date! Unbelievable, right?

            I was excited just thinking about it!

            I was currently on my way to Vincent’s room to surprise him with how stunning I thought myself to be in my beautiful summer dress—even if the new pink skin and the scabs on my legs took a chunk off my self-esteem.

            I turned the corner into Vincent’s room, jumping easily, throwing my arms out and yelling, “Boo!”

            Vincent turned to look at me, a smile already on his handsome face. He looked to be putting the finishing touches on one of his paintings.

            “Well, hello there, cutie,” Vincent said.

            I blushed, kicking an imaginary spot on the ground. “Hi, Vincent,” I greeted in return.

            “Ready to go on our date?” he questioned.

            I glanced over at the paintings before answering, Vincent followed my gaze.

            “They are all mostly about you,” he admitted. I didn’t understand how they could be about me. Most of them had something to do with the moon. There was one with a girl and some music notes—obviously, she was me with her hair so bright and red. “You’re like the moon,” Vincent said, “You shine on me through my darkest hour—when my sun isn’t around.

            I nodded, looking over some of the paintings again. I was the moon in all of these paintings. Now it made sense.

* * *

We rolled up to the aquarium in Vincent’s new, but old, Chevy pick-up truck. I totaled Fenrir when I crashed….

            "So, what have you named this hunk of metal?” I asked as I slammed the door shut behind me—the only effective way to shut the door.

            “I haven’t decided on a name,” he said, patting the hood as he made his way around to me. “I was thinking either Olga, Helga, or Bertha.”

            “Ooo,” I marveled. “Bertha is a good name.”

            This time, I was the one to grab Vincent’s hand and lace our fingers together. I liked the feeling I always got when our skin touched. Like fire in my veins; a rush of warmth radiating from the spot where our bodies touched.