1 : Smile

" That's right, you two. Don't forget to put in those red ones, they'll match perfectly, " Olive said to Claire and Bronwyn while smilling softly.

Olive Elephanta was busy guiding the two little ones on how to arrange a bouquet for dinner later. It was Fiona's birthday and everyone's excitement was at its finest. While busy preparing, Fiona was easily distracted by Hugh and Millard who brought her outside for some games.

Miss Pregerine was busy baking the cake and some dishes for tonight. With a very magical hand, it was easy for her to do so. On the other hand, Emma was hanging some decorations on the wall. Afterall, her peculiarity does help along with her task.

Everyone in the peculiar house was hectic with their own duties. Everything seems okay but there was one person who was missing.

Enoch O'Connor.

Noticing his blank presence, Miss Pregerine quickly stopped and walked towards Olive.

" Miss Olive, would you mind calling Enoch to come down and give some help? " She asked, Olive stopped from helping Claire and stood up slowly.

" I don't mind, I'll call him right now, " Olive replied with a soft grin then walked away as Miss Pregerine let out her own smile.

Footsteps could be heard as Olive made her way upstairs. Quitely, Olive pass through those set of potraits hung on the wallpapered walls of the old house. How many years has it been since she arrived at this house?

" Enoch? " She knocked, wondering why isn't he downstairs helping. Although, its actually not quite surprising since it was Enoch.

With an "ugh" sounded from the other side, Olive quitely opened his door and found him playing with his dolls. Olive stopped in front of the door and gazed at him lovingly. She was always fascinated by his peculiarity, it was different than the rest.

Different from hers.

" I'll come down in a bit, Olive. You don't need to check on me, " Enoch grumbled, stopping her admiration looks as Enoch stands up from his previous posture.

" I was just wondering what you're up to, " she exclaimed as she followed behind Enoch and closed the door behind them. Together, they walked down the stairs with a pouty Enoch and a happy Olive. Who wouldn't be happy when the one they love is near?

" Ah, glad to have you finally here to help, Mr. Enoch, " Miss Pregerine said, as they noticed both of their presence in the kitchen. Slowly turning around with a bowl in hand, she exclaimed, " Now go and help Emma with the decorations. "

After hearing her orders, Enoch quitely walked off grumply while Olive gazed at him again. She played with her black gloves for a while then proceed to continue helping the girls.

After 30 minutes, Miss Pregerine suddenly exclaimed loudly from the kitchen, " Miss Olive, can you help me hand those ribbons on one of the shelves to Emma? "

Olive followed Miss Pregerine's favour obediently as she left both Claire and Bronwyn for the bouquet arranging task. Picking up the multi-coloured ribbons, she dashingly moved towards Emma's location.

By far, Olive Elephanta could already hear soft chuckles from the dining room. As she arrived at the crime scene, she saw both her crush and friend having fun. Enoch was smilling as Emma talks with chuckles in between, it made Olive jealous and sad at the same time.

" Excuse me but Miss Pregerine told me to give you these, " she interrupted, putting them on the dining table. Her sadness grew as she saw Enoch's smile dissapear from his face.

Emma said her ' thank you ' with a wide grin and continued to have a conversation with Enoch who turned quite. Noticing her troublesome presence towards Enoch, Olive excused herself as Claire and Bronwyn called.

With a pained heart, she walked away while Claire and Bronwyn waits for her. The little girls were smilling when she arrived and Olive had no choice but to force herself to smile in return.

" Olive, is this alright? " Little Bronwyn asked her with her adorables eyes, showing her bouquet at Olive.

" Oh, Bronwyn! That's beautiful! " Olive replied in smiles.

" What about mine, Olive? " Claire, the youngest, asked as she holds the cute bouquet while looking at Olive.

" This is one is also gorgeous! Both of them are perfect, " still smilling, Olive happily pat them on their heads.

Although, Olive Elephanta was not entirely happy. Well, who would be happy when your crush doesn't smile around you? Not Olive of course.

Remembering about smiles all of a sudden, Olive lovingly try to remember the forgotten smiles she left behind. Her little sunshines, her loved ones.

Her family.

" Olive? " A small voice interrupted, it was Claire who was worried. Looking beside Claire, little Bronwyn was holding Olive's hand softly with concern eyes.

" I'm fine. Now come on, let's continue, " she replied with a soft chuckle as both the little girls stared at Olive before turning their heads towards the flowers.

' I'm alright, ' she thought with a sigh then smiled. Today was going to be bittersweet day. Then again, it has always been like this.