Chapter Four

CELEBRATION

Today was Nina's older brother, Zachary's birthday. It was going great. We were at the club that he rented out for the night, drinking alcohol, except for me who was drinking orange juice.

I was sitting in a booth alone when I noticed James looking around, he was by himself. A moment later, he saw me and made his way toward me. I walked toward him and kissed him on the cheek.

"Hey, I'm glad you made it." I greeted him. He smiled at me.

"Me too."

"Did you bring anyone?" I asked.

"No." I sighed in relief.

"Anne, I have to tell you something." He said, pulling me into a booth, e both sat down.

"What is it?" I asked him.

"I'm not gay." He started. Relief spread through me. "Nor bisexual." He quickly added. I opened my mouth but quickly closed it. I cursed at Nina inside my mind.

"My ex was the one with the sexuality issues, not me."

"Oh." Was all I could say.

"I see you haven't changed." He then said. I looked at him. "You used to always jump to conclusions when we were kids. "That was true."

"It's all Nina's fault." I defended myself. "She's the one who told me you were gay, all because you said that my body, and I quote 'is okay.'" He laughed at that, I soon followed.

"Where is she?" He asked.

"Somewhere with a boy." I replied.

"Good, because I want to spend some time with you." He said, making my heart beat faster than before.

"What do you want to do?" I asked him after a moment.

"Talk." He said. "Do you have a boyfriend?"

"Never." I replied. he did a double take.

"WHAT....NEVER."

"I've been single for twenty-one years." I said. "What about you, how many girls have you dated?"

"Only one, my ex." He said. "We dated for four years before we broke up." I had a question I wanted to ask him, but I was scared.

"Are you still a virgin?" I asked and he coughed on his drink.

"Sadly no, I wish I waited. Are you?"

"Yes." I said, proudly.

"Good. Wait until marriage." He said. I stared blankly at him.

"Did you wait for marriage?" I asked him. He looked away.

"No." He responded.

"Exactly."

"But it was a mistake." 

"Don't care, it's my virginity."

"That you're gonna hand over to somebody." He finished. "I'm saying you should wait for the right person."

"Why do you care about my virginity?" I asked.

"You're my best friend, I care about you.I just don't want you to get hurt." He said sincerely, looking deep into my eyes. I felt something tickling in my stomach, I was guessing 'Butterflies.'

"Thank you for caring." 

"What are best friends for." He smiled.