Chapter 4

Other me

Domino City

Yugi started to think the Millennium Puzzle did hold some kind of magic when he noticed that his usual bullies avoided him like the plague ever since he started wearing it around his neck. And he didn't mind that one bit.
He was sure now that the stories his grandpa had heard about a power of darkness inside the puzzle were untrue.
Although he did have dreams about a sort of lookalike who was watching him while he slept like a sort of protector.  He wondered who it was. If he was even real. Since he didn't know who the person was he had named him Other Me. 

After 4 months completing the puzzle he started to think he saw the Other Me out of the corner of his eyes but whenever he turned around he didn't see anyone. 

'I hope I'm not starting to go crazy' he thought frowning.

'Don't worry Partner. You're not going crazy'

Yugi's eyes bulged.

"Who said that? Show yourself"  he said. He wanted to sound confident but he felt himself trembling.

"Me"

Yugi swirled around and saw his lookalike standing there with a soft smile on his face. Only one problem.  He was transparent.  As if he was a ghost.  Yugi paled.

"Wh..who are you???"

"Not sure really.  I don't remember my name but I guess you can call me Other Me as you have nicknamed me in your thoughts"  his lookalike said.

'He can read my thoughts?' Yugi took a step back and his lookalike frowned upon the action.

"No need to fear me Partner...Yugi. I am here to protect you. Not harm you" Other Me said. Yugi didn't trust him one bit.

"Protect me from what? Are you the one who made sure the bullies left me alone?  Where did you come from anyway?" he asked. Other Me looked confused.

"From the Millennium Puzzle ofcourse.  You completed it.  Therefore I owe it to you to protect you since you are my vessel on my journey to face my destiny. Whatever it is.  I feel like I need to do something really important but I have no memories for what exactly" his Other Me explained.

"Puzzle? Vessel? Destiny? What are talking ab..." A lightbulb lit up in Yugi's mind and his eyes bulged again.
"You are the spirit of darkness that resides in the Millennium Puzzle"  he quietly said. The stories HAD been true and he had a sickening feeling inside his stomach.

Other Me chuckled.
"Spirit of Darkness?  Is that what they call me? Well I have been out of the puzzle mostly at night so you could call it that. But since you see me as spirit of darkness, calling me Other Me wouldn't seem right. You don't look like you could hurt anyone.  Even if you wanted to. No wait. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't even think about it"

Yugi blinked.
"You talk about me as if you know me. I'm not as innocent as you think I am" he said. "Oh and if you really are a spirit of darkness I should call you Yami.  It's mean darkness in my language. But don't do any evil stuff. Like making peope insane...uhmm Yami" The spirit now renamed Yami smiled softly.

"I can insure you Yugi that I haven't done any evil stuff as you may call it. Like I told you. I am here to protect you and recover my memories so that I know who I am and why I'm here"  he assured Yugi and stepped closer to Yugi who didn't retreat now like earlier. Yami reached forward and grabbed Yugi's hand. Yugi shrieked when he felt the ice cold touch and pulled his hand back like a reflex.