Chapter 7

The end is just the beginning

Kul Elna

Yugi fell to his knees when Yami's life points dropped to zero. Tears streaming down his face.  Him winning the ceremonial duel meant only one thing.  Yami would have to leave for the afterlife.  Leave him.  Forever.  After everything they had went through.  After discovering their feelings for one another.  He had to leave.  Yugi had known that their budding relationship couldn't last since Yami was a spirit and Yami had known it too.  But still they went for it.  Treasuring each day together.  Loving each other.
But now it had to end and Yugi realised he wasn't ready to say goodbye.

"You did it Partner.  You won" said Yami while walking towards him and kneeling before him.  He grasped Yugi at the shoulders squeezing lightly. 

"A winner shouldn't be on his knees Yugi"

"How can I be a winner when I'm losing you?" Yugi sobbed.  Yami looked sideways for a second to their friends before looking Yugi in the eyes. 

"You do realise we will never be apart right?  We will always be together right here" said Yami while pointing at Yugi's heart. Yugi flung himself in Yami's arms and buried his face in Yami's chest. 

"Yugi..." He felt Yami's arms wrap around him and rub his back.

"Pharaoh?  It is time" said Ishizu. "The shadows will only be locked away for eternity with your passing"

Yami sighed and pulled Yugi closer before he pulled back entirely. He could feel Yugi's hands gripping the back of his jacket tight.

"Yugi...Partner. You need to let go" he said softly. Yugi shaked his head.

"No.  I don't want you to go"

"Yugi *sigh* you know I have to in order to keep the world safe.  Just...just promise me you will do your best to move on"

"I do..."

"Promise me Partner" Yami begged.  Yugi looked up with glistering eyes en nodded. 

"Pharaoh.. " said Ishizu.

Yami buried his face in Yugi's neck and gave him a quick kiss there that went unnoticed by their bystanders.

"Goodbye Partner.  Yugi.  Hopefully the gods will let us meet again someday" said Yami with a sad but solemn expression and he pulled back to walk towards the door to the afterlife.  He didn't dare to look back at Yugi.  Saying goodbye was already painful enough.

"State your name to the eye of Wadjet Pharaoh" said Marik.

"Atemu"

The doors to the afterlife opened up letting in bright light into the underground temple. Yami could see his father and priests beyond the door and stepped forward.

"YAMI!!" Yami stopped walking when Joey shouted.

"So you're just going to leave us just like that?  Without saying goodbye?" asked Tristan.

"Do you really have to leave Yami?  I mean I do know you have to go but once you go through those doors you can never come back" said Anzu while tears streamed down her cheeks.