I Never Thought

• Dedicated to Coach K and Duke University

-Emily-

     I never thought I would grow up to end up like this. I'm 26, and a widowed mom of twins. My momma said I still had plenty of growing to do, although she is right, I don't want to grow slow. My twins are Mark and Matthew. They mean the world to me, but their father did too. Samuel was my best friend. I couldn't ask for a better husband. We married when I was 19 and he was 21, and we had our boys three years ago. God also received something three years ago on the same night that my boys were born; Samuel.  

      Samuel was the type of guy who loved life; period. He was always happy, and willing to try new things. Sam was so happy to be the father of our children. He would nonstop talk about how they were going to be the next big athletes. "I can picture it now," he would state, "Twins on Top of Three's!" or "Hales' Hands to Hoop!". If they both grow like Samuel, then they will surely be gifted basketball players.

     The night Sam passed was the best and worst night of my life wrapped up into one. My water broke while I was at Grace's house, Samuel's sister. I was freaking out and very excited about it too. I just wanted to hold me boys so bad. Grace called Samuel when we were leaving the house to the hospital and I could hear him through the phone flipping. He was nothing but ecstatic. He was ready for the next Air Jordans to come out of me and be in his arms also.

     On the way to the hospital Grace done nothing but reassured me birth wasn't going to hurt that bad. I wasn't even worried about that aspect of the night until she told me. I was scared. It was like all of my feelings turned upside down and I started to cry. Tears running down my face, as Grace thought I was giving birth in her car at that moment. I just wanted Samuel there with me. Holding my hand through it all. To watch me make our lifes blessed. I just wanted my husband. Right there with me holding me.

-Samuel-

The Night of the Twins Birth

     I was so relieved that the twins were coming that night. I was nothing but smiles going home to get Emily's hospital bag. I played the radio and sang the last song I would ever sing. I sang 'All I Do is Win' which I knew that was going to my little men's theme song when they got older. I could see it now. Mark and Matthew growing up being high school All-Stars, and getting scholarships to Duke to play real college basketball. Emily and I sitting in the reserved seating cheering on our boys. Matthew passing the ball to Mark to drain it. Matthew and Mark Hale would make basketball history.

     I arrived home rushing out of my jeep to get to the front door. I found my house key, and as I put the keys in my front door I dropped them onto the wooden deck. I reached down for them and picked them up. Inserting the key in the door I unlocked it, entering my house. Walking up the stairs to get the bag couldn't take long enough I was in such a rush. I got up to the top of the stairs and took a right to mine and Emily's bedroom. I began looking for the bag. I knew it was a brown and green duffel bag, but couldn't remember where Emily put it.

     I continued to look in the closet and it was nowhere to be found. I walked out into the hallway and down two doors to look in the nursery. I smiled at the decorations. Their cribs were decked out in Duke blankets, and there was pictures on the wall of the roster, and the greatest players of all time who attended Duke. I saw the duffel bag beside the royal blue rocking chair with the Duke Blue Devil hand painted on the back of it.

     I bent down and put the duffel into the rocking chair. I rumagged through it to make sure everything was there including the boy's Duke blankets and beanies along with matching socks and bibs. I was so excited t brong them home already. I decided that everything was there and as I turned around to the door I was met at gunpoint.

    I gasped as the man in all black had a bag full of my and other belongings. I wasn't sure what to do besides just stand there and not say a word to piss the guy off. He was at least 6'4" average shooting height and probably weighed 205.

"Where the money man?" he asked. By his tone and speech I could tell he was black. I know a fellow brother when I hear one.

"Man, I don't have any money on me." I said being honest. I could think straight at all. Why did I call him man? I should've been a little more respectful.

"Gimme your wallet." he said. I wasn't going to argue with him so I reached into my pocket on the inside of my jacket and grabbed my wallet. I didn't even have it pulled out, then he shot my chest. I looked down immediately then while looking at him I pull out my wallet showing him it wasn't a gun like he had thought.

     "Oh, man I'm so sorry. Sorry brother sorry." The fear spoke for him. He left with worry in his eyes and he dashed out of the nursery and down the stairs, then I heard my car start and pull out of the driveway. I blacked out once then my life flashed before my eyes. The day new bike finally let me ride it. Prom of junior year when I had a hot date. My graduation with my parents hugging me and telling me they were so proud of me, and the best day ever, which was when I saw Emily in a wedding dress, agreeing to become my wife at the alter.

    After my life flashed I came back to coniciosness. I crawled over out into the hallway leaving a trail of blood and into my study and wrote my wife and sons a final good bye.

                               Dear Emily, Matthew, and Mark,

             You three are the best things of my life. I love you all. I'm never going to get to hold you boys but I will always be watching over you, and I'm happy with whatever you two decide to do. I have a hunch you two will be making bank shots and being the best brothers of basketball ever. I have so much to teach you but zero time. Practice makes better. Not perfect. Neither of you will be perfect but you will be best.

      Emily I love you forever. If you wish to move on to another guy, don't even think twice about hurting my feelings. Somebody needs to be the man of the house even through we have two now. I love you honey and you are so beautiful. Never give up baby doll. Take care of our children. Love you so much.

                                                                             Final good-bye, love you all more than you know,

                                                                           A proud husband and dad, Samuel Hale

        And that was what was put on my headstone; A proud husband and dad, Samuel Hale.

Be excited for the next chapter! Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter even though it was the first! Tell me what you think!  Love all my fans!