Chapter 2

-Matthew-

     "Happy Birthday baby boys!" my momma yelled coming down the steps. Mark and I looked at each other like she had lost her mind for the 100th time. My momma was the nicest woman I knew. I loved her more than any other girl in my life. She was always there for me when I needed her most.

     "Momma," Mark began, "we are not babies anymore. We're 18. We can, well, buy tobacco, lottery tickets, and go to jail, but you know we won't do that to you momma." he said kissing her cheek and advancing into the kitchen where I could smell the delicious cake she had made earlier in the morning while we were sleeping. I rolled my eyes at Mark saying "Momma I think this is the best cake you have made yet!" Of course that brought a big smile across her face. "Thank you baby." she said pouring us some milk.

     "Oh how I have news for the both of you!" Mark began sitting down at the breakfast bar. I knew it was going to be something like 'I got a perfect score on the SAT' or 'I repainted all of my Star Wars collection.'

      "What?" I said. I wasn't excited for the news at all. Mark made me really angry at times, pretending he's perfect and the sad part mom believed him for every word that wisp out of his mouth.

        "I got a full scholarship for basketball to," I stopped him right there. Mark and I were the best basketball players around because we had determination. We had someone up in heaven encouraging us to dominate the goal. Even though we both played basketball and we were just as good as each other I didn't think he would even go to college basketball. He could be a doctor easily with his smarts and make bank for the rest of his life. "A scholarship for basketball huh? To where? Sissy Harvard? Just to let you know, when I start practicing and playing for Duke next season, you are going to be sorry that you didn't apply for Duke. Man we could light up that court for the next four years."

     "Matt, this college is better than Duke." Ha I laughed at his words. No college was better than Duke in my world.

      "What college then Mark?" I said stuffing my mouth with the best bite of chocolate cake ever.

      "University of North Carolina." he stated. I started to choke on my cake, as Momma done a spit take of water all over Mark.

       "Boy! What do you think? Yo are going to go play ball down there with those Tar Heels?! This momma doesn't think so. Have you lost your mind? You know this family is a Blue Devil family! Even your daddy didn't like UNC!" my momma snapped at him. He looked down for a moment and took his glasses off, which he really didn't need. He thought they would make him look smarter.

       "Sorry Momma. I got to take this chance."

       "What about Duke Mark?! If your brother got accepted then you are already accepted too!" I didn't take this personally because it's true. If either one of us got accepted somewhere then the other one more than likely would too.

      "Man I can't believe you." I said. I really couldn't. Our dad wanted us to ball together and Mark was ruining it for the both of us. All my life all I wanted to do was make my daddy proud. So did Mark I thought. At that moment I knew Mark and I weren't going to be teammates, but more like bro-enemies of college basketball.  

-Mark-

     You know what let my brother think whatever he wants to. Fuck him. He is going to get screwed in the long run. He thinks we should do whatever our daddy wants. If my dad was so great then why couldn't he snap the gun away from his killer? Or not be a pansy and call 911 and suck it up like a real man? I don't live for my daddy since he was dumb enough to pretty much let another guy kill him.

     If my momma knew what I was thinking at this moment then she would probably beat my ass until I couldn't harldy walk anywhere. She was a good mom for sure. She done everything for me and Matthew. It always seemed like Matthew was more in her heart than I was though just because he talks about how great our father was. Oh Samuel the Great. How ridiculous was he? He wasn't getting anywhere in life with Duke basketball.

     All of this that I'm saying about him is true. I mean I have a nice car, apartment, scholarship, girlfriend and a nice body. What did Matthew have? Nothing. He has an average car, lives with momma, a scholarship but to Duke, a girlfriend he has been with since freshman year of high school, and an okay body. He could never average out like me. Never. He thinks he can ball? Psht. I would whip his ass back and forth across that court any day any time.

      The only thing he had over me was eight points over his high school years. I made 3, 896 points and he made 4, 004 points. Big whoop. Nobody even looks at those averages anyways. I was a better point guard anyways. It was just a matter of time until he fell apart. On March 3rd, 2012 when we come together on the court against each other he will then see whose our daddy now.