Chapter Two (Edited)

Zayla Ingrid

After Micah's birth, I was determined to finish school and stand on my own two feet

After Micah's birth, I was determined to finish school and stand on my own two feet. By the time I returned to school, I was thrown into the spring semester of my senior year and had no idea what I wanted to do after my undergrad.

My advisor suggested going to get my Master of Business at one of the universities in California. There were many options available for me based on how well I did in my classes and in any format I preferred whether online or on-campus.

"I know on-campus might be a challenge, but I have a list of programs here where you can finish up your MBA within a year online," my advisor told me as he passed me a paper list.

"Thank you so much!" I said as I gathered my items to leave.

"No problem, Zayla, and keep up the good work! Tell Micah I said hi!"

One night, I was looking through the list of options my advisor had given me and looking into everything I would need for the application. Right as I was scrolling through the University of Southern California's website, Micah's cries started to ring over the baby monitor.

"I'm coming, Micah," I said moving my computer aside and getting out of my bed.

I went into her room and took her into my arms. Her bottom was wet, and I knew she needed to be changed for the third time tonight. She began to quiet down and was staring back at me.

"You feel better now?"

She gurgled in response and seemed much better now as I placed her back into her crib. As I walked back into my room, I saw a FaceTime call from Natasha coming in.

"Hello?"

"Hey, how are my girls?" Natasha asked. I readjusted myself back onto my bed as I held the phone in my hand.

"You know doing our typical hot girl shit. Applying to MBA programs and wetting ourselves in the middle of the night," I said. She laughed.

"Only real hot girl shit," Natasha nodded, "Hey, you know there's a new episode of Love Island USA, right?"

Love Island USA was the one and only reality shows I could sit through. I would catch reruns here and there, but I never watched a season from start to finish before. Now, starting its third season and I planned to enjoy it from start to finish.

"Really? I'll have to check it out while I look through and apply to these schools," I told her as I excitedly turned on the television. The last thing I watched on my television was the Channel Five news. A recent killing that took place along with the gruesome photos stopped me dead in my tracks.

"Hey, Zay? Are you good? You look like you've seen a ghost."

"I'll call you back, Tash," I told her. She was not letting me off the hook too easily.