seventeen

A BILLION DOLLARS IN THE ELEVATOR.

"Bey, we still going to the gala, right?" I asked nudging her

"I'm here to pick my daughter up."

"And I'm trying to have an adult conversation."

"I don't care for your conversation, Shawn." She shrugged. "Can you move and let me in?"

Instead of doing what she asked, I stepped outside, closing the door behind me. "Shawn, I'm not in the mood for this right now. Let me pick up my daughter, so I can go."

"No, it's next week and you already have your dress and I already have my tux. We're going to this event."

She looked me up and down. "Whatever, okay? I don't feel like going back and forth with you." She pushed past me to get into the house.

"Let's go Blue!" Bey yelled. Soon, Blue can running down the steps as fast as her little legs could take her.

"Hi, mommy!" She grinned.

"Hi, baby." She kissed her. "Let's go have fun."

Bey looked me up and down again. "Let me go grab some stuff from upstairs first. Go get in the car."

She turned to go upstairs and I quickly followed. "You know you don't have to go anywhere."

She frowned. "Oh I know. But, this is what you wanted right? You wanted our marriage to be over, I'm only giving you what you want."

She walked down the steps and through the kitchen.

"Beyoncé, stop." She stopped and turned around. "I'm sorry, okay? How many times do I have to say it before you hear me?"

"Here's a thought: you can stop saying it. I don't care for your apologies."

"Damn, yo! I'm really fucking trying! Show me the effort I'm showing you!"

She started throwing shit. "You want effort, huh?!" She was breaking plates and glasses all over the place. "Fuck your effort. Where was your effort before it got to this point? Tell me that."

She launched the last plate, "that's what I thought." She chuckled and stormed out of the house.

I didn't see her or Blue again until the day of the Met Gala.

"You look handsome, Daddy." Blue told me.

"Thank you, Sweetheart." Mama Tina came over with Blue and said she was going to watch her until the event is over.