Chapter 5 History

The week that I decided to dedicate to a series of history lessons to bestow upon doctor strange was a whirlwind of complexity.

It had become a routine gimmick for him to occasionally utter a simple "why?" In an effort to challenge my prior story.  To which I would reply with an annoyed "because" causing him to mirror my expression of distaste.

I was currently in the middle of explaining to him about the first residents of this temple, my very distant ancestors. Three tall black robed men, that had been put to rest on these very grounds centuries ago.

For the most part, Stephen seemed generally interested in the story, and if he was not at the time, he soon became completely indulged in the complex world of origin that death magic presented.

-------------------------------

"Straighten your posture." I commanded as he once again let out a failed stream of black smoke that arose from his fingertips.

"I AM!" He yelled out in frustration as he moved his position again to get a clear shot at it , once again letting  mist arise from his fingers before he sent a black smoky whip through the air landing beside the cloud of blue.

The soul hovered above where the blast had hit, before it threw itself forward and passed through Stephen, causing him to grunt and slid back.

"They know your pressure points, you must learn theirs."
I walked around the perimeter of the large circle of the court yard assessing his movements.

"How exactly do I learn the pressure points of a flying cloud of smoke!" He yelled, frustrated as the soul circled around him, causing his head to whip each way as he did.

"Think about your magic, then think about your body. You know this, doctor." I said sternly, my hands behind my back still, as I came to a stop on the side of the two opponents.

"How do I fight it if I can't even touch them!" He yelled, dodging the souls body as it launched it self at him.

"Think! Remember the lost realm, remember what a soul is!" I yelled back at him, his head suddenly snapping toward me, his eyes wide with realization.

With a quick glance back at the soul he closed his eyes, and his body began to drift back, as what is now his astral self flung out of his chest.

With a swift yank at the soul, he was able to throw it back against the side of the temple, and send a roaring punch into its chest, watching as it slid to the base of the wall.

He then flew back to his body and yanked a little wooden box from his pocket, opening it and pointing towards the soul, watching as its body slowly pixelated and glided into the box.

He shut it quickly and then glanced over at me.
I clapped slowly "well done strange."
I congratulated.

Stephens face twisted into a smile as he handed me the box, now containing the soul.

"I don't know why you didn't just tell me I needed to be in my astral state in the first place." He mumbled.

I smiled at him, watching as his brows nit together in the center.

"Be a soul to see a soul, in the lost realm, is the same as be a soul to touch a soul, in this one."

He sighed, "well that would have been nice to know, prior."

I shrugged at him, giving him a devious smile.
It had become a hobby of mine to torment him in silent ways. Weather it be not telling him how to do a spell, or watching him fail miserably at tasks as easy as they come.

Over the corse of the last few weeks his training had become more lax. Rather then my typical posture of obedience, I had assumed an aura about my self, simply to inform him- or possibly reassure myself- that I, had become content with his presence.

His skills where quite rounded by now, he could repent death, and he could release it. The only lesson of the three main books left is relive.

I'm hesitant, I know with this particular spell I will need to take him as far as I can away from the temple. Even knowing the benefits of talking to the first residents of the temple, I simply cannot do it here.
My mind is prettified, swarming with this perplexed fear of his constant questioning. I expect it, we had done every spell here, even when those spells where cast from an outer realm. I am afraid he will become suspicious of my motives for switching the routine and causing us to venture. While there are reasons I could present to distract him from the truth, I know he is smarter then I make him out to be. And so, a distant sort of anxiety has broken through my near 10 year meditative state.