Chapter 1: The Big Game

Chapter 1

Melody

Nothing in my Gym class entertained me. In fact, it did the complete opposite. It bored the crap out of me. Especially since the brand new gymnasium got completed.

"Alright, class!" the gym teacher, Coach Borris, said as he gestured for us to gather around him. I hesitantly put my sketchbook away, knowing that he wouldn't notice if I join the circle a little late.

"As you know," he said, not even waiting for me to walk over, "today is the junior and senior boys basketball championship!" The students erupted into a loud cheer, making Coach smile brightly. He continued after everything died down. "If we win, which I'm confident we will, then we will be going to Nationals in Miami! Luke, I suggest you're going to take things home this year?"

Luke Cosgrove smiled. "Oh, absolutely, Coach. In fact, I say we play a game of basketball to practice."

Coach nodded. "Fantastic idea, Luke! Okay, you and Briggs are team captains. Pick your team."

Like usual, I just went on a bench to sit down. I knew neither of them were going to pick me. I was always left out, since there was fifteen people in my class. There was no way there would ever be even teams.

I was right. Not that I even doubted it.

Coach didn't even seem to realize I wasn't picked; he never did.

I took the opportunity to continue to work on my drawing. My basic every gym class routine.

At one point, the basketball landed on the bench beside me. I picked it up just as Luke jogged over to me. "Why aren't you playing?" he asked as I handed him the ball.

"Because I didn't get picked," I replied. "Not that I care. Basketball isn't really my thing."

Luke threw the basketball back in the game and ran in. I was surprised. The very first person to ever acknowledge me in high school is Luke, the school's top jock. Even if it was a ten second conversation.

School ended early that day, due to the championship. I was hoping to get home right away and paint, or maybe make another clay model. But Matt caught up to me in the hallway. "You're watching the game today, right?" he asked.

"Do I have too?" I whined. "You never watch me paint or anything?"

Matt scrunched up his nose. "Watch you paint for an hour? Do you know how boring that would be?"

"As for me watching sweaty guys dribble a basketball," I commented, crossing my arms. My brother and I, though I love him, were very different. He was loud and athletic; I was quiet and artistic.

Matt sighed. "Come on, Mel! It's the championship!"

I shook my head. "I don't want to."

Matt stared at me for a bit. "How are you going to get home? You can't drive."

"So?" I asked.

"So," Matt smiled. "I can't take you home because I have to practice for the game right away."

I shrugged. "I'll just hang out in the art room or the library. Wait...."

"All the teachers will be at the game," Matt said, tugging on my wrist. "Now come on, Mel. You're going to watch me practice."

Without a further argument, he pulled me all the way back to the gymnasium where I just tried to escape from.

"Coach," Matt said once we walked up to him. "Can my sister sit in on today's practice?"