Chapter 30: My Life is a Lie

Chapter 30

Luke

All my life, I've been thinking that I was mistake; that my dad didn't want me all because of me being born out of wedlock. That was not the case.

It all happened during a mediation process my family went through. Mom wanted a divorce with Dad, but both wanted custody -though I don't know why considering Dad hated me and didn't seem to care for much for Evan.

"I don't really know why I'm going," I muttered as I buttoned up my shirt. "I'm just a stupid piece of their stupid argument."

"You're not stupid," Melody assured. "And you kind of have to go since they're fighting for full custody, which is weird because......."

"My dad hates me?" I finished.

"Because he kicked you out in the first place," Melody corrected. "Luke, you got to stop thinking negative."

"I'm not," I replied. "I'm just stating the truth!"

Melody sighed. "Luke, why would he be fighting for custody if he hates you?"

"I don't know!" I said with a shrug. "Maybe because he wants to have all the power. I don't know! But if he gets custody of me, I'm running away. I'll possibly move to......New York. If not, Canada."

Melody scoffed. "Luke, I haven't seen your dad act the way you're telling me, but I can guarantee you that your mom will win. Now stop being sad, brush your hair, and......."

"Can't I just say I'm sick with the stomach flu?!" I asked. "You know, throwing up and everything?"

"No," Melody said as she handed me a brush. "Just please stop whining. The faster we get there, the faster it will start and the faster you will be living back in your own home."

I was silent for a bit before answering. "Yeah, I think I'd rather live with my girlfriend, so......."

"Brush," Melody demanded. "I'll go get Susie ready before you complain even more."

I rolled my eyes as Melody walked upstairs. Surprisingly, Melody was able to get Susie ready quickly. Usually, she wanted to stay in her pajamas and not want to get changed. But in less than five minutes, Melody came down the stairs holding Susie, followed by Evan who was muttering something I couldn't even understand.

"You okay there, bro?" I asked once Evan reached the bottom of the stairs.

"Why wouldn't I be?" Evan asked sarcastically. "You know, there's a chance that Dad may actually have full custody of us!"

"Not possible," Melody piped up as she helped Susie put on her sweater. "Just tell the mediator everything that happened and your mom should be granted the custody."

I was hoping she was right throughout the whole drive to the mediator's office. Melody was coming for moral support, though she wasn't allowed to be in the room at the time.

When I parked the car, Mom was waiting outside as well as Dad. I said nothing to either of them as I helped Susie out of her carseat.

"So......" Evan said once we got to Mom and Dad. "Our family is actually together once again......."

"Let's just go in and get it over with," I muttered, walking passed Mom and Dad to enter the building.

"Luke," Mom said as she followed me. "You can't have this attitude during the mediation, alright?"

"Fine," I sighed. "I'll be on my best behavior."

Before my family went to the mediation room, Melody pulled me aside. "Whatever happens in there, I'll be there for you," she assured. "Whether your mom or dad wins, I'll always be there."

I smiled faintly. "You're the best, Mel," I told her. "Thanks."

She gave me a quick kiss. "Now go in there and tell them everything that happened."

I walked into the room, where a woman was sitting in the middle of the room. Two tables were on either side of here, with Dad at one table and Mom on the other. Susie was playing in a corner with a bunch of toys that was laid out and Evan was sitting by here on another chair. I quickly sat down beside Evan.

"Welcome, Cosgrove family," the woman said. "I'm Emily, the mediator. So, the two of you are fighting for the custody of your children, correct?" Mom and Dad both nodded. "The process is very simple. Both of you will state why you want custody and we will try to solve that. If there are any other problems, please do say so, so that we may try to solve as well. Mrs. Cosgrove, since you requested the mediation, please go first."

"Well, I've been with the kids since birth," Mom said. "Especially when my husband walked out on us, leaving me with all three kids, while I worked full time to support them."

"Preach," Evan muttered under his breath. Luckily Mom, Dad, or Emily didn't hear.

"I love all three of them dearly," Mom continued. "I'm always there for them and help make decisions for them."

Emily nodded. "And you, Mr. Cosgrove?"

"They are my children too," Dad said. "Well, at least two of them are."

"Keith, please don't bring it up," Mom said, almost as if she was begging.

"No interruptions, please," Emily said. "Please continue, Mr. Cosgrove."

"Since this is also a place to solve the issues in our mind, then perhaps I should say why Sandy shouldn't get custody," Dad said. "Because it's been bothering me so much. For seventeen years, I've been going along with her act, pretending that one of her kids is mine when truth is she had an affair while we were married."

Two words popped out the most out of that statement: seventeen years..... "W-wait," I said. "I'm seventeen......"

Mom then gave me an apolgetic look. I didn't say a single word to her as I stood up for the chair and slammed the doors open as I stormed out.

"Luke?" I heard Melody ask as she followed me outside of the building. "Are you okay? What happened?"

"What happened?" I repeated as I stopped in my tracks. "I just found out that my whole life is a lie."

"What are you talking about?"

I turned to face Melody. "That man in there fighting for the custody of us doesn't hate me because I was born out of wedlock. No, he hates me because I'm not even his. My mom had an affair while they were already married."

"So......"

"So I've been calling him 'Dad' all my life when he's not even my birth father!" I said. "Evan and Suan are my half-siblings and I don't even know who my real father is! My whole life has been a frickin' lie!"

"Luke," Melody said calmly. "Just calm down."

"Calm down?!" I asked. "Mel, I just found out that some man who isn't even remotely related to me is trying to fight to be my legal guardian! He's technically just my step-father!"

"Then go in there and tell the mediator everything he did," Melody said.

"I can't," I said softly. "I can't see my parents together. It hurts, Mel."

Evan walked out of the building then. "Luke, are you okay?!"

"Okay?" I asked. "I am not okay, nor will I ever be if Mom doesn't get custody! Evan, you have to tell the mediator everything that man did. See? I can't even refer to him as 'Dad' anymore."

"I already did," Evan replied. "Mom is already granted the custody of us. Life is going back to the way it was."

"Yeah, except mine," I told him. "Now I'm going to keep wondering who my real dad is! Nothing is going to the way it was."

--------------------
The Only One is now officially complete! A sequal will be coming shortly, as soon as I figure out a title and the book cover. And once that's over, a spin-off will be coming, but I won't say anything because of spoilers.
Thank you so much for reading this! I hope you like it! Keep an eye out for the sequal! It should be up some time next week!