+ 3 +

Even though I am absolutely exhausted by my first, less than enjoyable day at university, and all I want is some shuteye, I remain wide awake. I must look like an owl, my eyes flitting from empty space to empty space at every slight shift in the air.

I'm so on edge.

How the hell am I going to sleep with a teacher three steps away from me? I'm facing the wall to escape having to stare straight at him. Tense, I hitch the duvet higher over my shoulders. Hearing shuffling from behind me, I squeeze my eyes shut as the deep, smoother-than-melted-chocolate voice of Professor Hartley fills the room.

"Miss Neversea," he begins, shattering the awkward silence, "Are you uncomfortable?"

After a moment of contemplation, I sigh, turning around and sitting up to run a heavy hand through my hair, "What else do you expect? I'm sleeping with my freaking professor!"

I realise my terrible phrasing too late.

"I-I mean, I'm in the same room-"

"-Understood, Miss Neversea. Would you care to explain why you are so bothered by me? I've done nothing inappropriate," he defends himself calmly, hitching one arm up behind his head as the duvet falls another inch.

Did I mention he's shirtless? He is. And it's very distracting.

Come on, Quorra, suffer in silence. Don't you dare say something about-

"You're half-naked. That's inappropriate," I say before I can stop myself.

Wow. Major brain fart.

I almost see a hint of a smile at the corner of his lips but he recomposes himself to an unreadable sheet of paper, "Would you prefer it if I put on a shirt?"

NO! Don't do that.

As I stutter over a sentence, he gets out of bed, exposing a plane of definitely-there abdominal muscles and a chiseled chest. A pair of shorts hide the bottom half of the V carved into his pelvis. My eyes follow him as he wanders over to the dresser and removes a blue shirt.

With a quick glance at me, he pulls it over his head, runs a hand through his hair, and turns around. He meets my awed gaze, "Better, Miss Neversea?"

A faint pink flourishes in my cheeks as I turn away, mumbling an incoherent, "U huh."

ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ

I force my eyes open with a satisfying yawn, my back arching like a cat stretching on a lazy afternoon. Languidly reaching for my phone, I nearly leap out of my skin at the time.

Why the hell did one in the afternoon come around so quickly?!

Almost tripping over my duvet, I hurry out of bed (unable to help but notice Professor Hartley's absence) and over to the dresser where I put my timetable last night.

Two lectures today... One from four to six... And one from noon to one.

Oh crap. Oh crap crap crap.

"Fuck!"" I curse, slamming the timetable back against the dresser.

I'm not even late to the lecture. I missed it.

This wouldn't be a problem if I was in some other university where missing lectures is what most people do, but now I'm in this strict one practically designed for dumbasses, I'm pretty much required to attend all of them. Especially seeing as the lecture I had this morning was English, it was probably a bad idea to miss it. Not to mention I was late to yesterday's lecture too... my ass is screwed. I thought I had convinced myelf to attend all my lectures to get a certain professor off my case, but it looks as if my biological clock isn't on my side.