You'll Always Be Mine - Chapter Six

Chapter Six – Alliances

Clover’s POV

The road felt never ending; it stretched for as far as I could see and looked the same. I reached the point where I thought I could be dreaming. The map clearly showed a long road leading to civilisation but it seemed like I could walk for years and not come into contact with another person or see another building. She kept me focused, pushing me on when I felt like just laying down and sleeping.

Exhaustion had set in. My body ached, my legs stung, screaming in protest as I pushed them forward as quickly as my battered body would let me. I took heavy deep breaths which I knew was not helping but I couldn’t control it anymore.

‘Faster.’

Gritting my teeth, I pushed against my legs as I started walking faster. I was able to quicken my pace slightly but soon enough my arms hurt as much as the rest of my body. That wasn’t necessarily a bad thing though, now every part ached as much as the rest it didn’t feel as bad, the pain was spread out.

‘Faster.’

I tried but I couldn’t. There was nothing left inside me. I was already at my maximum. If it wasn’t for my injuries I could have possibly found extra strength from somewhere but I couldn’t, and the knowledge of that made me a failure in her eyes. I knew how angry she would be, and that still affected me too much. I needed her to think that I was perfect, that I could do whatever I set my mind to, whatever she wanted me to do.

Fresh determination coursed through my veins as I pictured the disappointment in her eyes. It didn’t make me any faster, that wasn’t possible, but I did make me realise that I wouldn’t fail on this. I would make her proud, no matter what the cost.

Finally, after another two hours walking I made it to a small town. From the map I could see that I needed to go through, there were no ways around it. That meant there would be a very high risk of someone seeing me. I need to be so careful, it did help that it was almost pitch black now but no doubt there would be some people wondering the streets at this hour.

The town looked run down, the first building on the way in was boarded up, strong metal covered the doors and windows, not the usual wooden boards, this was clearly a rough area so there was probably police patrolling the area.

I pulled the collar of the jacket up to give me a little more cover and tilted my head towards the ground. My eyes stayed up so I could clearly see what, and who, was about but I didn’t want my face to be easily visible.

The air was cool and I wanted to find shelter for the night but it had to be somewhere safe and out of the way. Walking along the dirty gum-stained path, I searched for a place to eat and sleep. I would only allow myself a few hours rest even though I felt like I could sleep for a week. Before the sun rose I needed to be leaving the town.

Derelict shops and houses lined the streets, if it wasn’t for the cars outside I would say this place was deserted. The people that lived here obviously had no pride in their homes, or their community. This was the type of place that I hated the most. It didn’t take a lot to look after your home and the area around you but some people just didn’t care.

I stood still as I saw a young woman standing by the corner of the road. Dressed in a short black skirt and tight pink top it wasn’t difficult to figure out why she was there. Narrowing my eyes, I slowly approached her.

“Hi sugar,” she purred, looking me over. Her expression remained the same throughout her examination; this woman didn’t know who I was.

“What’s your name?” I questioned before she could offer me anything.