You'll Always Be Mine - Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen – The reunion

Summer’s  POV 

I gulped as he stopped at the bottom of the stairs. My body reacted the same way as it used to; stomach turning, heart racing and hands shaking. I felt physically sick that he was in the same room as me again.

Run. That’s what I wanted to do. I should have left with Lewis. I shouldn’t have pushed him away and told him I needed space. I should have called him today and told him how sorry I was and how much I loved him because I really did love him.

Even knowing all that, I still couldn’t think of this as a mistake. The floor was still stained with Louise’s blood; my own was speared against the wall. Rose was dead because she couldn’t live without this crappy life. For them, and every other girl he’d ever hurt, I had to stay and do this.

Clover smiled. “How have you both been?”

Becca grabbed my hand and squeezed. We knew we had to play along for a while so I returned his smile. “Fine.”

“Where’s Rose?” he asked warmly. He was properly in love with her. Every time he looked at her it was more genuine and real than when he looked at me or Becca.

So he really didn’t know about her yet. “She’s at my house,” I replied casually. Becca looked at me out of the corner of her eye so I squeezed her hand to stop her from saying anything. I had a feeling that when he found out he was going to go crazy and for now we needed to make sure he was calm.

“Why did you leave her behind?” Anger flashed through his eyes. The way it did before he lost it.

Thinking fast, I replied, “She has a headache so she’s sleeping it off.”

He visibly calmed down, believing the lie. Both me and Becca also relaxed slightly. What was coming up terrified me so I was glad that for now he was calm.

“I’m sure she’ll be fine in the morning,” Becca added, playing along. It was then that I looked at Chantelle. She looked frozen.

Clover nodded, his eyes flicking to the statue in the corner. “I’m so sorry,” he said, reaching out for her hand. She let him take it. I think, and hoped, that she was just processing everything we’d told her. “I see you’ve already met but I’ll formally introduce you. Chantelle, this is Poppy and Lily,” he announced proudly. “Girls, Chantelle will be staying with us from now on.”

“Heather?” Becca asked sarcastically.

Clover’s face hardened. “No, this is Chantelle.” I frowned in confusion. If she wasn’t meant to be his new Heather then who was she? A smiled spread across my lips as a thought passed through my mind, ‘Maybe he does have a sister.’

Becca shrugged. “I’m lost.” I almost hit her. We weren’t ready for this yet, there was still loads we to say and making him really mad straight away wouldn’t get us answers.

“Chantelle will be staying with me.” With him. Like she wouldn’t be locked away? “Poppy, where have you been living while I was away? With Lily?” he asked, changing the subject. Chantelle’s confused and horrified expression never changed a bit.

“Yes,” she answered a little too quickly. Chantelle then frowned and looked at Becca. Did she know something? “We all stuck together.”

“I’m so glad you did,” he responded, smiling proudly. His sick mind drove me crazy. I couldn’t understand him and how fucked up he really was. “I was so worried about you all and how you would be coping.”