General Help: Wattpad Genres

So, we have our awards going on. And some of you are rather new.  Or you're like how I used to be and think everything Paranormal has to be scary. I'm going to tell you EXACTLY what Wattpad says about genres.

Like, seriously. I copied and pasted their guidelines. Because we all know very few actually look at those.

There are some things that I will want to clarify, but they will have their own chapter. Like I am going to have a Paranormal vs Urban Fantasy chapter soon. But my phone is dying, so it shall wait.

Without further ado, behold the power of copy and paste (Don't do this for real stories. That's plagiarism folks. Plagiarism bad):

Romance

With love as a driving force, a romance is a form of fiction that traces the growing relationship between two individuals, and oftentimes, the struggle to reconcile their differences or their pasts. The protagonists typically undergo personal development, equally challenged and changed by their beloved.

Example: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Fantasy

Fantasy is a form of fiction which takes place within an alternative world - an imaginary realm wherein magical and supernatural forces pervade. Fantasy stories explore archetypal truths and experiences of an ordinary protagonist, as he or she embarks on an extraordinary quest. Legendary, mythological, and folkloric traditions characterise the genre, thus fantasy stories are often rife with dragons, trolls, wizards, and knights. Typically, fantasy deals with universal themes, such as the struggle of good against evil or the struggle of an individual against society.

Example: Lord of the Rings by J.R.R Tolkien

Paranormal

Paranormal is a form of fiction that occurs in a modern-day setting, but contains creatures or happenings that are beyond the scope of normal scientific understanding or "normal" human experience. Paranormal stories often explore a human protagonist within a paranormal world, as well as their encounter with paranormal beings or individuals with paranormal abilities, such as ghosts, angels, vampires, werewolves, clairvoyants, or telekinetics.

Example: Twilight by Stephenie Meyer, Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, The Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris.

Horror

Horror is a form of fiction that intends to scare or disturb through a protagonist's experience with an uncanny or menacing force. Horror evokes an emotional, psychological, or physical response (i.e., fear) within the reader and intrudes on a reader's comfort level. Horror stories usually involve a protagonist's confrontation with the unknown and the malevolent aspects of humanity, as well as the unsettling realisation that human knowledge is limited.

Example: The Shining by Stephen King

Historical Fiction

Historical fiction usually recounts a famed event of the past or a memorable, recognizable period time period as experienced by fictional characters, but may also describe a historical figure (in their perceived likeness) that must deal with a variety of imagined situations. Historical fiction attempts to accurately capture the essence of history and realise as fully as possible the way the world once was. Striving for plausibility and authenticity, historical fiction allows the reader to both live and learn history, often showcasing political or social issues of the time.

Examples: The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory, Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel, The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell.

Fan Fiction