Chapter Seven

If you were to ask me now to get out of bed and go on a search for the Supreme leader of this Coven, I would absolutely turn down the offer and go right back into bed. But something in the back of my mind then told me to go find her. I could sense that there was something wrong and I needed to get to the bottom of it. The Coven needed this. We needed this. Killing Fiona was the only thing we could do to strengthen and protect the witches of now and the witches of the future.

I did my absolute best to stay as quiet as possible. Although the other girls were in on killing Fiona, I did not want to wake them up. The stairs were so squeaky, I was having a hard time taking little steps to try and pace myself. I decided to turn my cat steps into a stealthy sprint so I could get down the stairs quickly. This stealthier approach worked much better and I found myself at the bottom of the steps in no time. My legs felt like the putty that they were when I first met Fiona and I swore my feet were glued to the ground. Taking a moment to collect myself, I heard a noise come from the kitchen and I held my hand up to my mouth.

This is it, I thought to myself. This is where I get caught and Cordelia will be stuck with the punishment of having a witch awake and out of their room late at night. But the noise suddenly died down and the house fell dead silent again. I almost began to laugh, thinking how ironic this whole situation was. It felt as though this were a suspenseful movie and I was the killer ready to catch and torture the victim. I had the task of somehow getting Fiona Goode, our Supreme, the so-called victim, killed. But, before I could continue on with my goal, I needed to gather background information about her.

I honestly did not know much about her, except her nightly routine which I knew like clockwork. I had so much snooping to do...perhaps I could get in touch with one of the men she sees regularly. I would assume that she has shared some personal information with one of them over one too many drinks.

Doing so was just the matter of finding them and getting some facts straight. Magic was definitely going to be used while in the process of talking to these acquaintances. No one would rat out Fiona just for the heck of it. They all had locks on those little mouths of theirs and she had the skeleton key.

I sat down on the second to last step and thought this over in my head again and again. It all had to be perfected. One wrong move and I would absolutely be screwed. Not only was my life in danger, but all of the other girls and Cordelia's were, too. The more I thought about this, the more it felt like I was going to have a panic attack. I looked to the living room, checking to make sure the coast was clear before I headed back upstairs. This needed to be thoroughly thought through with Cordelia.

Morning came around, and as I sat with the others in the dining hall, I could sense a tenseness in the air. Fiona was still nowhere to be found and Cordelia was sitting in her office chair biting her nails to stubs. I could not possibly talk about all of this with her in this state.

Madison started, "You know if Fiona doesn't show up soon, the council will be here ready to step in and make orders."

There was a long pause and the other witches sat there silently. "Oh come on! Myrtle has been waiting her whole life for Fiona to disappear so she can take over, so why would she waste any time sitting around," she questioned.

She did have a good point. Cordelia had told me Myrtle hated Fiona's guts, but always stuck around to care for Cordelia herself. Did Myrtle have something to do with Fiona's disappearance? It would make sense. The throne was a powerful thing to be in charge of and women with power would do anything to call it their own.

I decided that was the first place I would start. I would visit Myrtle and see if I could get anything out of her. As the other girls started to eat, I got up, scraped my uneaten pancakes into the drain, and left without saying a word. I can do this. I have to do this.

The Council consisted of a group of three members: Myrtle Snow, Quentin Fleming, and Cecily Pembroke. Each had their own opinions on Fiona, but out of the three, only Myrtle dare mess with her. I did not know much about the reason of her hatred towards Fiona, but what I did know is that it had something to do with Fiona being handed over the title of Supreme at such a young age. I could tell Myrtle was the jealous type, and with her issues about Fiona, it made perfect sense that she had something to do with this mess.

It was actually quite large, The Council's sanctuary. It was a two storied manor, much like our academy, with large glass windows; however, there were swatches of color added to it than the black and white that we have. I was glad I walked. The last thing I needed was a cab driver to recognize my face after this whole plan goes down. It was not like I was going to kill Myrtle or anything, I just wanted to be on the safe side.

Thick green bushes lined the perimeter of the house as well as these strange looking plants growing in patches that were not bushes. Some of the plants were similar to the ones Cordelia had growing in the greenhouse. I can only imagine what the council members use them for.

I knocked on the door and patiently waited. There was no answer. I tried to look through the windows, but the curtains were drawn back and barely anything was visible. I knocked again, but still, no answer. Holding out my hand, I waved it in a circular motion around the doorknob and surprisingly, it unlocked. Strange...I was never able to do that before.

The door creaked open and I pushed my way inside.

"Hello? Hello, is anyone there? Myrtle Snow, if you're here, I'd like to speak with you."

My voice echoed like crazy and I soon regretted that I had even called out Myrtle's name in the first place.

It was eerily quiet. This does not seem right at all.

I took a sharp turn to the left and made my way down a long hallway which lead to another room that looked like the library. This place was too big for just three council members. What exactly did they do all day long? Play hide-and-go-seek?

"Hellooo? Is anyone the-"

Before I could finish my sentence, I screamed in horror and dropped to my knees on the floor. The sight of blood trailing in a straight path along the wooden floor was enough to make me pass out. All three Council members lay dead. Someone had killed them in cold blood. And I was sure I knew who did it.