Chapter 5: Exploring

Everyone had finished breakfast about half an hour later. Akio had suggested we take at least one weapon each as we could be surprised by a zombie. We agreed, which led us to going into the shed.

In the shed there were multiple tools. Kaito took an axe, Ryo took a shovel and I decided to grab a knife. The knife was from the kitchen though.

All four of us stood by the gate and said our goodbyes. Kaito and Ryo both said 'bye' in bored tones and turned away silently as Akio hugged me and wished us luck.

Be careful." He said.

I wasn't used to hugs so I didn't hug him back which made me feel a bit rude but I soon forgot about it.

Akio watched us exit the mansion and closed the gate behind us, waving goodbye.

When we rounded the corner, Ryo walked a few steps ahead, leaving Kaito and I side by side.

"Don't hug that creep." Kaito said out of the blue.

"Why?" I replied curiously.

"I don't like him." He snapped quickly.

"Well okay..."

The next five minutes went by in silence. Kaito wasn't one for conversation in the first place but I felt a little awkward after what he'd said. I didn't know what to say to actually engage with him.

"Where do we go first?" I asked, trying to get him to talk.

"The shop." He answered shortly.

"What one?"

"There's only three shops. A supermarket, a chemist and a bakery. Where do you think?"

"Each in that order." I sighed. "The first for food, maybe clothes too. The second for medication and first aid. The third for more food."

"Good job." He rolled his eyes sarcastically.

"You were so nice last night and now you're just being an asshole. What have I done to you?" I complained, glaring at him to show my anger.

"Nothing." He yawned. "I'm just in a mood."

My glare softened and I looked at the ground. I couldn't be bothered for arguing.

We had been walking down a path for five minutes when we reached a sign, welcoming us. Without a sound, we walked past it and I caught sight of a few shops, which I presumed to be the ones Kaito had told me about.

"In here. Kaito can keep lookout." Ryo stated, tugging on my arm to follow him.

The bell jingled as we stepped into the store. The shelves were still stocked with all kinds of food.

"Tins first, they last longer." Ryo told me, already shoving some in his rucksack.

I walked down an isle and grabbed as much as I could at once. Once I was satisfied, I moved on to other things until Ryo came back over.

"I think we're about done. If we take anymore we won't be able to carry it. At least we got the basic stuff to keep us going." He paused, taking something out of the bag. "I thought you might like these."

He passed me light blue gloves which I took gratefully.

"Thanks Ryo." I smiled. He didn't return it and went back outside to Kaito, who was casually leaning on the wall.

"Next shop!" I said cheerfully.

This time, Kaito and I headed inside. There was a lot of things to get in there. I found many boxes of painkillers as I thought they came in handy. Together we got other necessities like bandages too.

After that, I found myself in the ladies area. I took many things off the shelf that I'd need for the inevitable time of month. That would be awkward if I didn't have any.

"What are you doing?" Asked Kaito from the isle next to mine.

"U-uh nothing! Just looking." I answered quickly and hurried back to him, shoving those things to the bottom of my bag in an attempt to hide them.

"We're done, lets go back to Ryo."

The sun was still shining brightly in the sky and I wondered what time it was. Judging from the sun, it was probably around noon.

"We have plenty of time left. Bakery time." Said Ryo.

After we'd collected some food from there, we met back in the street. My bag was quite heavy but at least it was large enough to carry everything we'd need.

"We'll also check out some of these abandoned houses. I'm sure we'll need some more clothes too, like, warm ones that can protect us better than the flimsy ones we're wearing." Kaito told us. He grabbed my sleeve quickly. "A zombie could easily take a chunk out of your hand if you're wearing this."

He asked for opinions and we all said that his idea was a good one. With hopes high, we headed over to some of the small houses just over the street.

Once inside, we separated into the different rooms. I found one that seemed to have been inhabited by a girl since the walls were pink and colourful.

In the drawers I found nothing that would really help me in a zombie apocalypse. Just as I was about to close the drawer, I noticed a photograph and picked it up out of curiosity.

In the photo, there was a girl standing at the front with a huge smile on her face, the two parents standing behind her. The father had his arm around the mother, whereas the girl was holding onto a cute dog lovingly. I smiled sadly at the picture, wondering if the family was okay out there somewhere.

I put the photo away and opened the cupboard, looking for anything else. Luckily there were a few good things in there, including a thick coat that could definitely protect me against zombies and the cold.

With my bag full of clothes, food and medical supplies, I strolled back downstairs feeling very happy with my loot. The other two joined me a second later.

"Get what you need-"

I was cut off as a door was shoved open, followed by the growling, rotting corpse of the man in the photo. His hair had thinned, almost all gone and his dull greyish skin had a large chunk missing in his face.

He dragged himself towards me, about to attack when Kaito hurriedly pushed me aside, swinging his axe through the air and slicing it into the man's head, blood flying over the furniture in a scarlet mess.

"You okay Haruka?" He turned back to me, worry filling his usually bored expression for once.

"I'm fine, thanks hero boy." I smiled, showing my relief.

"Don't mention it," he smiled back and ruffled my hair as he walked past me. "Lets go home."