Chapter 9: Leaving Again

It was about three in the morning and I'd been woken by the sound of shouting, and then Kaito hurriedly shaking me awake. He didn't explain, just told me to gather the things I needed so I did. I managed to shove most of my stuff in my bag that I'd left underneath my bed in case of emergencies such as this one. At least, I guessed it was an emergency.

The whole thing painfully reminded me of that night. The one where I had to leave my old home and life behind. And then, for some reason I started to remember my family and friends again. Their smiling faces on the last day I spent with them.

No, Haru. I thought to myself, shaking my head. Now's not the time.

"Baxter!" I yelled and my faithful dog rushed over to me, letting me clip on his leash.

Together, we found the others in the lounge. All three of them had their bags ready and wore clothing they'd usually wear outside the walls.

"Someone has destroyed our gate," Akio explained, pulling back the curtain, "and they coaxed a bunch of zombies through it. They'll be at the doors soon so we need to leave now."

We nodded and Akio took the lead, going straight to the back door. There was a gate just across the garden and if we could just make it to there, we would get away.

Kaito, Akio and Ryo each had a weapon and had them at the ready in case of an attack. I felt a little defenceless as a zombie could easily take us by surprise at any moment.

"Ready?" Akio asked as he opened the door.

We quickly stepped back. They were already there, clawing at us and ready to bite.

One of them grabbed Akio's arm and yanked him back roughly. The others sank their teeth into his arm and shoulders, ignoring Akio's screams and attempts to push them off.

Kaito dashed forward and sliced them away from him. He held onto Akio and pulled him away, the rest of us following him.

We ran to the back of the kitchen and opened a door, letting it take us into the garage. There, a van awaited us, along with petrol in the corner of the room.

Kaito was struggling to carry Akio now. He could barely walk on his own. Although he couldn't, he still tried to, despite knowing Akio wouldn't make it.

"Kaito..." Akio groaned painfully. "Leave me here."

"No! We're not leaving you, Akio." Kaito yelled angrily.

"You have to. I will die and become one of those so please just leave me here. I won't hurt you if you do."

"I can't have someone else die on me. Not my brother," he cried, the teardrops falling onto Akio's already pale face.

"You called me your brother." He smiled weakly at him and gently pulled him into a hug. "I love you, now go. I packed food and water in the van in case something like this happened. It.'a up to you now Kaito. Look after them."

"I love you too Akio. I didn't mean it when I said you weren't my brother, you are and always will be."

Kaito then placed Akio on the floor slowly and wiped his tears away. He propped him up on the wall so he was comfortable and grabbed my hand shakily.

"Ryo can drive, now lets go." He announced, his voice wavering slightly and pulled me into the van.

"Goodbye everyone," Akio tried to wave but his hand fell limp on his lap and his eyes closed.

Ryo jumped into the van, hiding his face from us and went to the driver seat. There were seats lining the walls of the van, good for us to sleep on if we couldn't find a place to stay. Most of our stuff was placed under the seats like our food and weapons so we could get them easily.

"You guys ready?" Asked Ryo from the front.

We said yes and he started the engine, pulling out of the garage to drive through the garden that was now packed full of zombies. I didn't look back out of the window as I couldn't bring myself to see the zombies ruining the life I'd made at the mansion.

Baxter whined pitifully at my feet and I reached down to pet him reassuringly. He licked my hand.

"Are you okay?" I questioned Kaito, my voice laced with sadness.

Kaito had taken Akio's death the worst. I guess it affected him more because he still blamed himself over his older sister's death. He was hugging his knees in the corner seat and burying his face.

"No." He answered honestly.

Nervously, I scooted over to him and put my arm around him for comfort. He turned to me and hugged me, crying.

"I'm here for you." I whispered to him, almost too quiet to hear. He heard it though.

"You weren't yesterday." He replied quietly.

"I know."

He sat up again and took my bandaged arm cautiously, trying not to hurt it. I winced as he unraveled it and put it away, revealing the wound that was still sore. His face darkened once again when he inspected what he'd done to me.

"I'm so sorry."

"It was an accident." I answered, trying not to make him even more upset. "Mostly my fault anyway."

"I promise it won't happen again. I'll treat you right from now on."

"I know you will, Kaito." I gave him a small smile and let him rest his head on my shoulder where he fell asleep.

I ran my fingers through his soft hair and brushed it out of his eyes. I then fell asleep a few minutes later as I'd not slept that much the previous night.

-
Sorry it's short >.<
Rip Akio :(