Chapter 10 // Truth

Sapphire's P.O.V

Three months after the news of Jesse being sick, he was getting better. Everybody was.

"Hey Saph! Can I talk to you?" Matthew asks, a smile plastered to his face as he walks over to Melody and I. He glances at Melody, and Melody nods, quickly waving goodbye before heading off towards Jacob, who was waiting for her across the deck, roses in his hand.

"Sure! What's up Matty?" I ask as he takes my hand and gently tugs me to the front of the boat

"You recognize this place, don't you?" He asks softly, gazing out over the water. Although things were better between us and we were friends again, I couldn't fight back against some of the pain I felt inside.

"I do.. It's where we had our first date... or... some of it." I reply, slipping my hand out of his gingerly. We stood in silence for a while, watching the boat sail across the calm ocean. After a while, Matthew begins to speak, the silence shattering like ice.

"I do actually want to talk Sapphire. This is really important for me." He turns to look at me as I look at him.

"Then by all means, go ahead, I'm not stopping you."

"After the whole incident that occurred with the letter between Jesse and I, I thought you'd never speak to me again. You crawled into my bed two weeks later, frightened, shaking and you asked me to never stand on the other side of the railings of the boat for whatever reason. But I promised, because I knew that it meant a lot to you. When you talked to me again, I was bursting with joy. I went back to my room, and instantly called Jacob and Jesse to tell them you'd spoken to me, even though your words were curt and hasty. We soon built a friendship back up, and that was special to me. It meant a lot to me that you were willing to try and put aside your hatred for me to try and reconnect."

"I never hated you Matthew, and I don't think I ever will. I was just hurt." I furrow my eyebrows, shaking my head.

"Sapphire, I like you. A lot. More than I've ever liked anybody. I was scared because I've never felt such a strong feeling for someone before but now I'm not scared anymore because I know that it's you. I know that I'm safe with you, and that you wouldn't hurt me... Well not on purpose at least. I feel secure when I talk to you, not worried that I'll do something stupid because if I do something stupid, you'll laugh with me and do something stupid too. Listen to me Sapphire. There are times in life when things are going to be complicated with me, and I haven't talked about them, at all, with anybody. My life is difficult, in shambles almost, but I am willing to really attempt to fix it just for you, you and only you, and I would like to prove that I can be a good guy, if you'd give me the chance, if you'd open up your heart, and your eyes to me."

I look up at Matthew and I shake my head.

"You're a filthy, goddamn liar did you know that Matthew Holiday?"

His eyes widen at the comment, lips twitching as he tries to say something but nothing comes out.

"A filthy, goddamn liar. You go and tell me you won't ever lie to me and then do you know what you do? Lie. And now you're lying again." I growl and I step back from him, hurt flashing across his eyes as I shake my head and storm over to Melody and Jacob.

"Woah, what happened?" Melody asks as I roughly grab a chair and sit down on it so harshly I almost break it.

"Matthew lied. AGAIN! Can you believe that asshole?" I grumble, looking back at Matthew as he stood there, frozen where I'd left him.

"What did he say?" Melody frowns, and I look up at her.

"He told me he likes me. Unbelievable. Keeps lying. Over and over."

"Sapphire-"

I cut Melody off instantly, furrowing my eyebrows angrily instead of sadly.

"Shut up Melody! Can't you fucking accept that you were wrong this time? Maybe Matthew isn't the guy we thought he was. He's a liar, a fucking liar!" I shout at her, her eyes widening as I stand up.

"Sapphire, stop, please!"

"Stop what? Being angry that I was cheated once again? That I was lied to and betrayed? Oh yeah sure, it's easy for you to say, little miss "I'm engaged" !"

"THAT'S ENOUGH!" Jacob shouts, standing up so quickly leaving his tall figure looming over mine.

"I've been quiet and I've been listening to everybody talking this entire month, I've barely spoken a word. I hear the way Matthew talks about you Sapphire, he genuinely likes you damn it!" He says, frustration lacing through his voice.

"How... Why should I believe you or him?"

""Because sapphire... sometimes people tell the truth... He's telling the truth. About everything. He's opened his heart to you Sapphire, why can't you understand that he likes you, and he likes you a lot? Matthew isn't the type of person to just let anyone into his personal life and he just let you into it. Matthew is a complicated person, and he's letting you into that complication."

"Complicated? What do you mean Jacob?"

"You know exactly what I mean Sapphire. It's besides the point anyways. This guy is head over heels for you and he just tried to express it. He spends hours thinking about you, even if those thoughts are sometimes inappropriate, he thinks about you constantly. Sometimes, he'll just turn to Jesse or me and start talking about you and he will have this giddy grin on his face and his eyes will twinkle. You give him hope for life Sapphire. The look in his eyes when he sees you... I haven't seen that look in his eyes in a very long time. Sometimes he just looks at you from across the boat with so much love in his eyes, so much care, that it makes me want to cry. It reminds me of the way Jesse and Valerie look at each other. What he feels for you is real. He just doesn't know how to express it properly. You need to give him a chance." He says, his voice turning sympathetic as he sees me lower my head and swallow hard, nodding.

"You're right... I-I need to go talk to him." I whisper and I stand up straight, running a hand through my hair. I thank the both of them quickly, before slowly heading back towards Matthew. He turns to look at me and I smile.

"How about we um... grab... some.. di-dinner?" I ask softly and Matthew's lips twitch into a wide smile.

"Sapphire, are you asking me out on a date?"

"Maybe I am." I stand next to him, leaning against the railing.

"What made you change your mind if you don't mind me asking?"

"I guess people deserve second chances." I say as a man walks by, holding four glasses of champagne. Matthew grabs two, handing me one.

"Here's to second chances."