Chapter 2

When my mom told me we were having a 'small celebration' before I went back to school, I was sceptical as to why it was happening (not to mention the fact that they would seemingly be celebrating me going). But when I finally exit the tack room after cleaning veritable mountains of tack, I discover what the sounds of cars and shouts were all afternoon. 

The front drive has been transformed, with collapsable tables shoved to the walls, heaving with snacks and drinks. Music plays from the speakers trailing wires inside the French doors leading to the living room, and I note that it's my type of music: k-pop. Currently blasting out 'I Am The Best', 2ne1's voices set the perfect scene for the many people milling around, chatting and eating. A large banner hangs from the upstairs windows, reading 'Good Luck Rose and Alex'. 

Alex? Isn't he just going back to their school in the town? 

I don't have time to assess this curiosity, as my presence is noticed by a certain group of people. 

"Rose!" 

Namely, my friends. 

Not my school friends; if Jess, Tabitha and Bertie showed up here I'd be surprised to say the least. But my friends from home, Andy, Bella, Evie and Sam. 

I'm suddenly suffocated from all sides by hugs, and I attempt to push away Andy's bushy brown hair, in a desperate effort to breathe.

"We missed you!" Exclaims Evie, her tawny eyes sparkling in the evening light. "How's the school?" 

Sam laughs. "Is it full of posh British people?" 

"Do you eat tea and crumpets every day?" That's Bella. 

"Okay," I say as soon as I'm free. "One; yes, but mostly nice posh British people," I pause, thinking of Jess. She's possibly the furthest from 'posh' you can get, and she puts herself down for her position at Silverstone. If anything, she was already better than all of us before we even got to school. "And two; no, I don't even like tea or crumpets." I raise my eyebrows. "And nice to see you all too."

Andy laughs, elbowing me. "Shut up, you know we texted you every day." 

"Didn't reply much, though," mumbles Evie, pouting. 

"I was kinda busy helping my friend train her demonic horse," I say, and their eyes light up. 

"What?" 

So, of course, I spend the next twenty minutes filling them in on what happened last term. 

"So, Jess got the horse, right?" Bella furrows her eyebrows, confused. 

"Yup." 

"What happened with Kennedy?" Sam grins. "Did she get expelled?" 

I shake my head regretfully. "Nah, Jess just kinda roasted her, then threatened to tell the headmistress if she messed with her again. Kennedy ran off then." 

"No wonder," Evie ponders. "Vandalism of school property, and poisoning horses. She sounds kind of dangerous." 

I shake my head. "Kennedy's not dangerous. Just jealous." 

A comfortable silence falls between us, as I look past the party into the distance. The lowering sun casts shadows among the rough patches of grass, painting a unique and strangely beautiful picture.

The tone of the music shifts suddenly, from a light pop beat to a heavy drumming. 

"Oh god, who's choosing the song?" I wince, glancing over to the speakers, but apparently it's playing from a playlist, cause there's nobody messing with it. "Isn't this my party?"