Chapter One

Hours of intense studying begins to take its toll on Hermione. Deep in the folds of an expansive magical library, she squints in the dim lighting, struggling to read the next line of her textbook. She's almost done with this chapter, just one more chapter after this and she'll finally be done. Just one... just one more.

"Hermione?" Ron and Harry prod her to life.

"Mm?" Hermione yawns and sleepily nods up to face her friends.

"What—?" Her question is interrupted by another long yawn. She begins anew, "H-how long was I asleep?" Hermione mumbles as she stretches uncomfortably.

"Dunno," Ron shrugs, looking to Harry.

"Its past dark," Harry replies, unsure. "You'll miss curfew if you stay much longer—"

"CRAP!" Hermione gathers her books and dashes out of the library without stopping to offer an explanation.

She'd meant to get a good night's rest before the big test tomorrow. Ron and Harry are always doing something stupid the night before a test, so Hermione doesn't even want to stop and wonder what it might be this time. She's got to get away from them, love them dearly even as she does. As she speeds through the halls, however, Hermione gains an odd feeling in her stomach. Her pace slows as she pinpoints the feeling in her stomach down to dread.

She swallows hard and looks around. She stands before the stairs, silently, despite their own creaking and groaning. What little evening light that drifts into the school is dimmed here. Hermione can hardly see even as she struggles to focus a thorough search around for anything out of the ordinary. Draco Malfoy suddenly rams into her, tears brimming his eyes. Hermione stumbles, books flying.

"God, Granger, watch where you're going!" he exclaims, although he does stoop to help her gather the pile of dusty tomes.

Hermione bites back a tart reply. She can see the tears in his eyes despite his valiant efforts to hood face as is it crumbles.

"Thank you, Malfoy," Hermione says when he presents what he's collected to her. "Draco... are you alright?"

"Don't worry about it," he snaps, blond hair shining in the dull, drossy light.

Soft moonlight lands around his shoulders and reflects acutely from the floor but everything else around them seems to be curtained by darkness. Nervously, Hermione scans the darkness, wondering if the cause of Malfoy's bereavement will pounce. But he seems to be battling tears whether there are monsters in the dark or not. Lost in thought, she the contemplative witch hardly noticed when Draco sniffs and turns away. Hermione blinks after him as he retreats into the shadows. She's had just about enough of seeing him like this everyday for the past week and a half.

"Draco, stop!" Hermione calls after him.

He does stop but he doesn't turn to face her. Hermione holds her books tightly to her chest as she jogs to catch up with him. He's moving away from the stairs, she notices. Where was he headed before he bumped into her? This is what she asks instead of what she really wants to know.

"Where are you going at this hour?" Hermione inquires.

"None of your business, Granger," Malfoy sneers.

"Malfoy," Hermione shakes her head, coming round to face him. "I'm worried about you," her eyebrows knit together. "Ever since Pansy and Blaise--"