Chapter 27 - Eavesdrop

Kaylee made her way past the orchard, exchanging glances with Evan on the way. Even as she thought over the situation, she knew that things weren't adding up. Why would Hale trust her to talk alone with Ryan, and then to relay everything he said back to him? Even if Kaylee had been a model attendant, he wouldn't give her any medium of trust. Given her long list of offences and misbehaviour, it was even stranger. If Kaylee was in his position, she wouldn't trust someone with her record to sweep floors, let alone spy.

She held the cup in one hand, with the pitcher in the other as she thought. The sweatboxes were getting closer, and Hale was definitely up to something. If he didn't trust her, what did he stand to gain by doing this? For all he knew, she'd just talk about whatever secrets they had and tell him absolutely nothing. Hale was many things, but he wasn't stupid. So, why was he doing this? To give her a false sense of security? Unlikely, there were less risky ways to do that. He had to gain something to do this.

These thoughts weighed heavily on her mind as she approached the sweatbox. Hale had to have some ulterior motive. He always did. She dropped to a knee in front of the heavy wood and sheet iron door, feeling the heat radiating off it in the morning sun. It was hot enough outside, and from personal experience Kaylee knew that inside Ryan had to be boiling.

"Hey Ryan, you alright?" she called, peering inside through the small hole in the door. Her eyes quickly adjusted to the semi-darkness within, and she made out the stirring form of the boy inside. The shallow rise and fall of his chest did little to ease her worries, but at least he was okay.

His head tilted slightly as he leaned forward, supporting himself on both hands as he crawled along the hard-earthen floor, which had been baked in the countless days or raw heat.

"Kaylee," his voice rasped, "You here to get me out?"

She opened her mouth to respond, only now noticing the slight difference in the sweatboxes from the last time she had seen them. The heavy iron locks that had previously held them shut were now gone, replaced with a solid metal panel and a set of nine buttons, each etched with a number. Hale had done some upgrading to his isolation cells since the last escape. Instantly, her heart sank. With the electronic locks, Beth and Evan's lockpicking skills were useless. They wouldn't get Ryan out that way, not unless they had the code to unlock the door.

"I brought some water for you," Kaylee muttered, thinking over the new complications. If Hale had upgraded the locks, what else could he have modified in the sweatboxes?

"Thanks," Ryan rasped as she poured him a cup, before gently passing it through the hole in the door.

Silence fell as he drank, and Kaylee thought. Could Hale be listening to them? He was clearly paranoid, and had tried to deceive her in the part. She wouldn't put it past him to send her in for what was supposed to be a private conversation with Ryan, only to eavesdrop onto whatever secrets they might be sharing. Maybe she was the one being paranoid now, but it wasn't a risk she was going to take. Still, if she didn't say anything at all to him or ask any questions, then Hale would still be suspicious.

"Ryan, why did you take the chemicals from the laundry?" she asked, raising her eyebrows and a finger in front of her lips, trying to pass the message on non-verbally.

"Kaylee, what do you mean?" he asked, "I needed to get them, for the -"

"For the high, I know," she cut him off, repeating the gesture. "I mean, hey man, I get it. But is that all? We're worried about you, and if this has been going on for a while, that's something that we need to know."