Chapter 26

All my energy was drained. I felt as if my every limb weighed at least a tonne. Maybe I sank into the grave and a mountain grew over my whole body. Or perhaps I got frozen in the ice because it was simply too cold. I was shaking. It was impossible I was still alive. For a moment I was worried she would still be around but I couldn't feel anyone's presence. I was all alone. I couldn't hear any trees, no wind. Was I still outside in the meadow? Maybe I really sank into the grave. I was sure the old witch would have loved that. Seriously, she was very annoying. But then I guess she had a reason to be upset, having lost Annie and so on. Not to mention the way she died. I shivered again. That part was of the memories was very disgusting and full of gruesome details. I wished I didn't see it, that I didn't have to live through it - seriously it was none of my problems. Plus one could expect that from a vampire. It's just it was a bit too graphical for my liking. Not that any murder would be nice to experience.

I tried to sense what was around. I could feel to my left something warm. It was comforting. I tried to reach to the source of the heat in vain hope it would warm me up. I didn't really care where I was, all I wanted to bury my nose in the warmth and sleep. I felt really tired.

"Hey, you are waking up." The warmth had a nice voice. The sound was wrapping around me like a duvet. Nice. I reached my hand to the pillow. Was it a pillow?

"Easy there. I guess I will go to make you a hot chocolate. Do you like a hot chocolate? I guess it doesn't matter now." The pillow said. That was great, I had a pillow making me a hot chocolate. The thought cheered me up a little.

Then a thought occurred to me: pillows can't make hot chocolate. I was waking up and it all didn't make sense. I needed to open my eyes.

My eyelids felt so heavy that I decided to take it easy. One eye opened, I looked around. I was in a room. To be precise, I was in someone's bedroom. It probably classified as a double bedroom, but only because the double bed fitted in. The walls were white with no decoration. I couldn't really see the carpet, but I expected it was there since we were in Britain and it was likely blue or grey or other non-descriptive colour. There had to be a window behind my head since the room was lit up by light. All I could see on the wall in front of me was built-in wardrobe, from the floor to the ceiling. It was unsurprisingly white again. This room either belonged to someone without any imagination and aspiration or it was a rental.

"You scared us," Jake said seriously as he approached the bed with a mug of hot chocolate. He didn't look like he got much sleep. His clothes were all crumpled.

"Can you sit up?" He wanted to give me the hot chocolate but decided to first check I was able to handle it. How considerate. I thought about if I was indeed able to sit up. I wasn't sure.

"Help me up," I whispered. I couldn't speak, my whole throat hurt. Jake put down the mug on what had to be the side table and sit down next to me. The matrace lowered and I felt my whole body just wanted to curl around him to warm up. For once I was glad I was not really into moving. He moved away from the blanket and I suddenly realised that I was in my T-shirt only. I jerked and straightened up in the bed.

"So suddenly you don't like my touch?" Jake sounded annoyed. I quickly checked I had underwear and relaxed only once I touched my panties.

"You are kidding me." He stood up, now clearly angry with me. "What do you think I am? Some sort of rapist? For your information, I like my girls conscious and willing. Do you consider this safe distance now?" He was standing as far as the wall allowed, which wasn't too far, but it was still rather ridiculous. I nodded.

"You can sit down, I am just a bit silly," I said when I realised how ridiculous my reaction had to look to him. On the other hand, I had been there lying for quite some time unconscious. I looked longingly at the mug and tried to lift my hand. Jake watched my hand move a bit and then he just came closer and lifted the mug to my mouth. I sipped a little. It was delicious. Practically liquid sugar with cocoa flavour. I guess there was milk in it too, somewhere.

"That's enough." He said after a few sips. The hot chocolate was warming me from inside. I smiled. "Feeling better?"

"A bit. How did I get here?"

Jake looked shocked.

"You don't remember?" He asked. I concentrated. I remembered everything that I saw but not how I got here. My memories ended when Jonathan killed me. Well, when he killed Annie's mother. I just shook my head.

"OK. I will tell you. Yesterday..." Yesterday? Well, there was a light in the room. I had to go home.

"I have to go now. I have to go home." I tried to leave the bed but Jake just pushed me deeper under the blanket.

"Don't worry. I texted Lee-Ann once I figured out you are not going anywhere." I was relieved. I would think about how he knew her name or how he got into my phone. The latter was easy, I really need to improve the security settings. Next time I know he will send some text to Mike or Saira. I looked at Jake again. He is not that type. I should really stop judging others by myself. I bet he never even sent a drunk text.

"What did I say?" I asked cautiously.

"Just that you were going out with a friend and might stay overnight so she doesn't need to worry." Oh, my. I could see Lee-Ann's face. Great, by now she thinks I spent a night full of passion with Mike or someone else. Well, let's do it step by step. First, what happened yesterday.

"Fine. Just tell me what happened yesterday."

"There is not much to tell, to be honest. You remember how you stepped into the grave and bossed me around?" I nodded. I didn't boss him around but there was no point in telling him. I just wanted to learn what happened yesterday.

"OK. Then you simply went quiet for some time. We were just waiting around for you to wake up but overall I just thought you didn't really look like you were in a trouble. And then you fell down and started to scream." I remembered hearing that scream, I just didn't know that was me. Well, it hurt when Jonathan killed me.

"I guess the tea didn't help." I was wondering why.

"Tea?" He looked surprised.

"The tea around my neck." I didn't want to explain all the details.

"Oh, that. Yes, you had it around your neck. It's in the kitchen with all the other stuff." He pointed towards the doors. That sorted out what was behind that door then.

"Just continue. I will need to go to the toilet soon." I waved my hand. I tried to sound cool. Jake just looked into my eyes and I felt like he could see right through me.

"I didn't know what to do. I tried to shake you, but it didn't help at all. You were really loud. So I just kissed you. Great kiss by the way." Did he kiss me? Was he joking? Unfortunately, he looked serious.

"You just told me you liked your girls conscious. You bastard." I threw a pillow at him. Suddenly I had surprisingly a lot of energy. I guess the hot chocolate was working magic. He didn't move. There wasn't really any need because I didn't have enough energy so it looked a bit as if I was poking him. He tried to suppress a smile. Then he became serious again.

"You were completely crazy. There was no other way. You screamed like someone was killing you. I tried to wake you up, to hug you, but it didn't help enough." Well, that was true. Sort of.

"And Jonathan?" I looked nervously around as if there were any space to hide in the bedroom. Was I expecting him to jump out of the wardrobe?

"He helped me to carry you into the car. At least he wanted. It seemed that every time he touched you, you started to scream again. In the end, he just left me to drive you here and I guess he took care of the grave. I haven't seen him since." He concluded. I nodded. I had some vague memories of death touching me which meant I was all the more clingy to the warm pillow. Except the pillow was Jake. Great. I wanted to cry or laugh or both.

"What's the time?"

"Almost 4." Did I sleep most of the day?

"I need to go home. Now." I started to move and tried to leave the bed, but it was nearly impossible. I felt like a stranded whale on the beach. Jake just sighted.

"OK, I will take you home. In car. No discussion." When he saw my angry face, he added: "And no kissing. Promise. You really scared us yesterday."

���r��