Of taboo and rebounds

The scientific terms associated with alchemy meant nothing to me at all but the entirety of the conversation was completely terrifying as a parent of one of the participants. They had tried to save a mans life but had been sent back in time. There were a couple of questions that continued to gnaw at my mind, however.

How did you happen to come across this man? that was the most prominent of the two, I was scared that they had been scouting trouble.

We were visiting a friend who lived in the same building. There was quite the ruckus and it just seemed right to intervene as it was obvious that no one knew shit about alchemy. Of course, our friend was no help – he swears that alchemy is voodoo, its the most annoying thing.

Youd think that Hughes would decide that alchemy makes at least some sense seeing as he knows so many alchemists but apparently not.

Okay – at least you werent looking for trouble.

They both laughed. Fullmetal doesnt look for trouble, trouble looks for Fullmetal.

Speaking of, why do you call Edward Fullmetal?

They both stared forwards as though I were speaking another language, in fact – in an attempt to through off my question – Edward began to speak what I could only assume was Xingese. I sent a stern look towards him and he seamlessly switched to another language that meant nothing to me.

Edward!

He reluctantly began to speak in Amestrian once again Its kind of a long story. He relented.

Ive got plenty of time. I challenged with a raised eyebrow.

Then Ill let mustang take the reins. That statement was met with a look of unadulterated horror – what future did my son have to live in? – I think I left something in the study.

The statement sounded truthful and he appeared happy that it was. Their hesitation to answer questions was suspicious, they probably didnt realise that it made the entire situation worse for them.

His hands were folded on the table top – wringing together nervously. Im a state alchemist, Miss Elric: Colonel Roy Mustang, the flame alchemist.

What does that have to do with what you call my son?

He trained under my teacher, she was strict – famous for producing future state alchemists. Obviously, I specialise in fire alchemy. Your son, however, Is a specialist by no definition. He is fully an alchemic genius – a prodigy if you will. He tends to run errands and has become known in the area for his work with metal – Fullmetal. Should he ever become a state alchemist it is likely that name will stick with him.

I was about to reply but Edward made a re-entry. It took me a moment to realise what he had picked up from the study. There was nothing in his hands and he still was not wearing his coat. But then I noticed, a silver chain was clipped onto the thick belt clasped around his slim waist. The chain disappeared into his pocket, causing a large lump in the leather.

A watch? I asked him.

Yeah. He replied simply as he retook his seat and downed the entirety of his ta despite the fact that it was still scalding hot.

You actually left your watch? Thats unlike you.

It came unclipped from my belt in the fall. Speaking of watches, He turned to me Al and I – Ed, whatever – should be back from school in half an hour. What should we tell them? I dont think that we should tell kids about whatever the hell this shit is.

I couldnt help but think that he was still a kid, standing there in front of me. That he, too, should know nothing of what could go wrong when it came to alchemy. I agree, but what could we say?

I dont know. Tell them that were old family friends who came to visit. Of course, youd have to tell Granny the truth but its the best of many bad options.

Who is Granny? I thought that you didnt have any family outside of the ones that I know about. Mustang asked

Pinako Rockbell. He offered in return.

Winrys grandmother?

Thats the one.

Okay, weve still got time and I still have one more question.

Go ahead. Mustang smiled at me in a way that unsettled me slightly, earning himself a glare worthy of the gorgons from my son.

The glare was accompanied with a single word Dont. It was steely and overtly calm – it was even more unsettling to me than the smile despite me not being the intended recipient.

Okay, continue. The overwhelming air of cockiness that filled mustangs tone had thinned considerably.

I smiled at my son, he looked proud of his ability to shake the man so much How did you two end up here? You were at an apartment building in Central, how did you end up in Eds childhood home in Resembool?

We dont know. Ed exhaled, no hesitation whatsoever. That circle was weird, I recognised most of the symbols but in combination many shouldnt have worked, I dont see how this reaction was abound - I dont see how he could beat the laws.

Do you suspect that he suffered a rebound? mustang sked upon seeing the downtrodden face Ed had adopted.

Probably. Ed confirmed quietly. human transmutation of any kinds is taboo and rightfully so. You know what it can cost you – every alchemist worth his chalk does.

But what could the rebound be?

I dont know – I dont think people get sent back in time very often, or ever. Could be a lost limb, could be a lost sense, could be a lost life. We just dont know.

Taboo, rebounds – what are you two talking about? I yelled, very much tired of being excluded from the conversation.

Alchemically meddling with human life – human transmutation as we call it - is a crime punishable both by the laws of our nation as well as the laws that govern the science in which we specialise. Mustang sopped speaking and, as though it were rehearsed, Ed continued.

A rebound is what happens when you try to meddle with the laws, when you try to play God. Most often people lose their lives to their foolishness, but thats when they try to resurrect the dead. I doubt anybody knows the consequence of time travel, he could be dead or he could just be missing something that he had had up until now, whatever the governing force of alchemy deems equal. Some alchemists just dont realise that they are not Gods, gods do not exist – your sins might never be forgiven.

My eyes were wide there were tears running down my cheeks. Through the burn in my throat I croaked a single word and began to wish that I had never asked Oh.