Chapter 13- Afternoon Dream

Chapter  13- Afternoon Dream
May 3, 1994
10:23am

Waking up in his brothers hospital room, forgetting how he got here. Shawn laid on his hospital bed laying lifeless as could be. It all started to hit him again and his heart ached with every air that he inhaled to when he exhaled.

Zo'Nique rubbed her stomach to the melody of church songs watching him breath in and out, crying in the mist of feeling helpless. She didn't know what to do. It wasn't much she could do but be there in her baby daddy time of need.

Alonzo sat up watching everything in his life shatter, first Keisha, now Shawn. No matter how hard he tried to control his breathing it always stumbled getting caught up in his throat. Cassie left not too long ago having to go to work and Shawn not being her immediate family gave her no reason to miss out on work.

Zo'Nique laid on his shoulder quietly sobbing. "What are we gonna do?"

"I'on know, I just c-can't lose him too." Alonzo replied huffing he put his head in his hands.

Zo'Nique rubbed her stomach trying to calm down from all the chaos in the room. Her stomach was getting really bad cramps and she depended on her baby more than she did herself or Alonzo. Also, brainstorming on who was that girl that came in with her man.

When she was there Zo'Nique didn't say a word. For the sake of her baby and her brother in law she would have cause a whole scene. Instead she stayed calm and just reminded herself to ask him later when he was in a better state of mind.

She eyed him but couldn't help herself and to eye him down as if he stole some money from her. Her hormones were getting the best of her and she had to leave and talk to someone about it before she made the situation she didn't know the full answer to escalate.

"I'm goin' to Keisha's room if you need me." Without another word she pushed herself up and pushed through the pain in her lower abdomen.

While walking out the door she turned back and he still never lifted his hands out of his head. She walked out the room with a ton on her mind.

*

"Oh lord, I'm so happy," Keisha spoke to Zo'Nique seeing her peek around the corner. "I ain't know who you were and I been a lil' on edge latley. How is Shawn he doin' anythang yet?"

"Nah, same condition he still asleep, I just pray he wakes up this is really killing me."

Zo'Nique was still a little startled from what she had just witnessed. and the police were not to far behind trying to get in touch to see what she knew. If as that wasn't already stress enough.

She sat down looking around the room noticing a flaw on the white board. 'Check up every 4 hours on expecting patient.'

'Expecting patient?' Zo'Nique thought to herself. It wasn't hard for her to put two and two together. All her friends who ended up in the hospital never had 'Expecting' written on the board unless they were pregnant.

"Damn, this shit is really killing me Zo' I'm stuck. I mean I'm pregnant and my baby daddy don't want shit to do with me and who knows when these motherfuckas gon' stop clocking me and let me out this bitch." Keisha spoke in a monotone voice, sounding like all life she had was taken out of her body. Which is how everyone was sounding lately.

Zo'Nique shook her head. If it wasn't one thing it was another all these things were coming back to back as if they had no end. She couldn't understand it. She came in here to somewhat check on Keisha, but mostly vent about what just happened and her own problems. But everyone around her was going through something.

Keisha got her reaction and let a couple tears slip out of her eyes realizing the situation herself. She couldn't have felt so helpless in her life. She had so many surprises; from being beaten, best friend shot, and the one that grabbed the strings of her heart the most was the life inside of her.

"This some bullshit."

_______________
Hey y'all, I know I been neglecting these stories but for some reason I woke up one morning and wanted to write a chapter for the hell of it. I had to reread most of it to not fuck it up. Anywayysss I do plan on making a couple more chapters cause I'm moving into a new house and I don't really have all my furniture yet. So in the meantime I'm killing time making chapters.

-Call_meh_tayy🦄