The Winter Soldier

Three things had changed since Kat found out that he was the Hulk.

1. Kat had started an obsession with the color green, constantly flouncing the color around with a grin bright on her face.

2. She barely ever left his side. Before finding out, she had been content with being left alone for a few minutes to an hour every now and then, but now she was constantly following him around and asking whether he could explain the science stuff he was doing.

3. She had started calling him dad with absolute pride in her tone. She was proud he was her father, an it showed constantly.

For the life of him, he couldn't figure out why! Most people hated the Hulk, said he was strange, or scary, or a monster. Not Kat, not his girl, she apparently had always liked the Hulk, and finding out he was her father had made her incredibly happy.

Bruce was actually enjoying having a fan for once.

And yet one dark cloud was ruining his mood.

The other day as they drop away from the motel, he'd spotted a black motorcycle shadowing his every turn. He had a bad feeling that Fury was behind this, after all, the director was a determined man.

Kat had noticed too, and the air in the car was thick with tension. However, they'd managed to lose the motorbike and its rider, and since yesterday they hadn't seen him again. 

Kat was currently sleeping on his shoulders, as he held her arms and legs around him so she wouldn't fall off his back. He and his daughter were sleeping in the tray of the old truck tonight, and yet first he was searching for some foliage to soften the hard truck for his little girl.

Now that he found all he needed, he put it down, spreading the soft leaves and ferns to cushion their heads. Gently he deposited Kat in to the back of the truck. Pulling out a blanket he climbed in as well, and draped the blanket over the two of them.

He smiled softly when Kat snuggled closer to him in her sleep, seeking the extra warmth his body provided. He slowly stroked her head soothingly as he gazed down at her.

How did someone like him ever help create someone as gentle as his girl? 

The crackle of footsteps made him freeze. Someone was coming towards them and he could only just hear them, so they were obviously trying to sneak up on him.

He clutched his daughter in to his art and slowly climbed out of the truck, keeping his eyes and ears peeled. And yet he saw no one, not yet anyway.

Kat didn't even stir when he started jogging in to the trees. But she did stir when a gunshot rang out, and the bark of a tree near his head was split by the bullet.

" Dad? Whazzz goin on?" Kat slurred, still half asleep.

" Go back to sleep Kat," murmured Bruce as he picked up the pace, sprinting now, his girl nodded tiredly and fell asleep. She could sleep in an earthquake, Bruce was sure she could sleep through everything.

Gunshots continued, making Bruce sprint as fast as he could, swerving and doubling back to try and lose whoever was chasing him. He seriously hoped it wasn't Fury.

If it was, he would be the one deserving the name Fury.