chapter 1.2 - smooch booth

welcome to chapter 2 of part one!

I was supposed to post this a couple days ago but it completely slipped my mind so I apologize

remember things are starting off a little slow until the ball drops so bear with me :) enjoy!

I glanced at the words written on the huge banner hanging above the entrance - St. Agnes Catholic High School's Annual Carnival - as I pulled into the main parking lot of my school and drove down the aisles looking for an empty spot.

Student volunteers were technically supposed to park in our assigned school spots in the parking garage, but it was all the way across campus and I really didn't feel like walking far. The main parking lot was right next to the carnival and security guards were out here constantly doing rounds to prevent theft and any other malicious activity.

At the end of one of the last aisles, I spotted an empty space. When I reached it, I swung my car out to turn into the space, but quickly slammed on my breaks when I spotted a group of teenagers sitting on the floor in a circle.

I pressed my hand on the horn and listened to it blare loudly through the lot. The two guys and two girls sitting in the space held their arms up to shield their eyes from the bright beam of my car lights.

Throwing my car into park, I undid my seatbelt and threw my car door open. Stepping out, I held my arms open and widened my eyes in a 'what the hell?' gesture.

"What are you all doing?" I asked and tried my hardest not to shiver from the cold air hitting my bare legs.

Darn me for wearing shorts on this windy night as if I wasn't already sick.

One of the girls held something up in the air. "Um... smoking?"

My eyes zoned in on what was in her hand and noticed the stick giving off small waves of smoke. I didn't have to look that close to see that it wasn't a cigarette they were smoking.

"Is that marijuana?" I demanded.

The group broke out in laughter and began mocking me, repeating my question in odd voices. I rested my hands on my hips and glanced around at the faces of these imbeciles and realized I didn't recognize them.

I mentally scoffed when I realized these weren't Saint Agnes students and more than likely attended one of the tragic public schools around here.

"Weed, babe. It's called weed."

I rolled my eyes. "Do you all mind doing this illegal activity somewhere else? I would like this parking space."

The girl held up the stick of marijuana in her hand. "Come take a hit and we'll let you have it."

I threw my hands up in the air. "You know what just keep the space! I'll find another."

Fed up, I trudged back to my car and slammed the door harshly. Speeding off, I angrily searched for another parking space before giving up and decided to park on the grass under a tree.

Crossing my arms over my chest, and holding my head down, I snuck past the napping security guard through the volunteer entrance.

To get in free, I was technically supposed to have my school identification card to prove I was actually a student here, but I had left it at home with Tobias' soup and my will to be here.

Saint Agnes, patron saint of virginity and all that is pure, forgive me.

Once in, I bobbed and weaved sluggishly between the people, booths, rides, and any other thing that stood in my way as I made my way to the booth I was working on.