CHAPTER 2

♪♫••════════CHAPTER 2════════••♬ ♭

THE OBVIOUS ANGER focused on her, the rescuer of his dog, was confounding, and her gaze fell to his black high-tops. Impatiently, he skipped stairs in his bound from the bus to the ground. When he snatched the leash from her hand, she met his angry gaze with an indignant one.

     "What do you mean? 'What am I doing with your dog?'" Her voice dropped several octaves to mimic his tone. "Your dog was running loose! Way back there." With a sweep of her arm, she indicated the west stage area before continuing, "And instead of letting something happen to him, erm... or her, I tracked you down!"

     He had picked up the pup petting it during her tirade. Now, he set it down, and his arms irritably crossed as he asked, "Oh? Out of the goodness of your heart? You brought Rusty to me?" One dark eyebrow rose as he arrogantly awaited the answer.

     "Rusty?" A bubble of hysterical laughter spewed along with her query.

     "Should I even ask what's so funny?"

     "Seriously? Should I even ask what's not?" Two dark eyebrows lifted in annoyance as she stated the obvious, "The dog is a Jack Russell Terrier?" When he would not move his chin in confirmation or denial, she pushed on, "You are Jack, and your dog is Russell or Rusty?"

     "Rusty, not Russell."

     "Tomato, tomahto." Blowing the answer out on a weary sigh, she fell a few steps away back in the direction from which she had come. Somehow, Olivia be damned, she would find her way home.

     Another weekend night to herself suddenly sounded amazing. Maybe she would stop by the deli and pick up a grilled chicken sandwich on a whole-wheat bun. Her wish to get through this life-altering breakup with fewer pounds than tears stemmed from the weight problem she had fought during her adolescent years.

     "Wait!"

     Responding with only a slight turn, she did exactly that, wanting to see what he would say next.

     "Yes. The name was a joke at first. But it suited him, and I kept it." The disclosure seemed grudging as he explained the name Rusty. "I'm sorry for accusing you. I left him tied up out here, just for a sec, while I went back in for my shirt and shoes. I just assumed you took him. Because you wanted to meet me..."

     "Other than your name, I don't know who you are." Facing him fully, she smoothed a sweaty palm over her ragged jean shorts.

     "Yeah. I'm starting to get that. Again, I'm sorry." His dark brows were now straight, instead of drawn together, and the incredible dark eyes beneath softened. "Obviously, or I guess, not so obviously, I'm Jack."

     "Marissa." She supplied her own introduction, and southern manners prevailed causing her hand to automatically shoot out.

     Moving closer, he squeezed her fingers in his, and a tingle of awareness buzzed every cell as their palms lightly met. The husky timbre of his voice was an intriguing rumble to her eardrums. "You look hot, Marissa."

     Determined to take the compliment as smoothly as Olivia would, she conjured a sultry look returning, "Thanks. You too..."

     Surprise flickered through those dark eyes, and when he quirked a smile, a dimple actually revealed itself. "I meant hot." A slight breeze had begun to blow. The next gust, from the southerly direction of the ocean, cooled the sweat on her face and helped to clear up the misunderstanding. Quickly, he amended, "And, of course, hot in every way." The eyes that slid admiringly to the neckline of her shirt, and down, supported the endearing statement. "Want something to drink?"