[chapter 516 spoilers] Cross my heart -Sophie

Authors Note:
I hope you all had a happy holiday, for whatever you celebrate. And if you don't celebrate anything I hope you're enjoying your break because you all deserve it.

Ok so apparently two chapters came out without me knowing and I just read them now. And Natsu made me all sad so I wanted to bring back his usual determined attitude and portray it to all of you!

Now... Usually Jason does the manga spoiler contained one shots but I decided to take up the challenge since he is still healing from his depression relapse. He'll be back soon!!

So this isn't good... He's better at these kinds of chapters... Oops.

Thank you all for waiting though! I hope you all enjoy this oneshot!

-Sophie

---

"Yes... Natsu..." Igneel started, smoke curling up the corners of his mouth and up into the air as he stared down at his adopted son. "You are dying."

Natsu's breath hitched after finally hearing it from his own father, and looked down solemnly. Sure... He heard that he was dying from many others in his heart but... Coming from Igneel... It felt official.

"I'm not sure if there's anything you could do about it." Igneel continued, his talons curling in frustration.

Natsu bit his tongue and clenched his hands into fists, trying his best not to shed any tears. "I promised her..." He whispered, shoulders shaking. "I told her I won't die... And yet..."

Silence surrounded the father and son for a good minute as Igneel watched his student overwhelm himself with his own grief. "Who might this be?"

"My best friend..." He choked out, turning his head away from the dragon as he grit is teeth. "I told her I'd look towards the future... Like you told me to. But look where that's gotten me."

Igneel frowned.

"I... I wanted a future with her. By my side. Me, Happy, and–and Lucy..." He breathed, tears finally rolling down his cheeks. "I just want to see her again. I want to see her with her eyes open. I want to stop getting into this stupid situations where I can't get something as simple as seeing her awake and by my side."

Igneel sighed and knelt down, bringing his face down to Natsu's level. "Follow me."

"No..." Natsu shook his head, stepping away. "That's all I've been doing this whole time. Following. And I haven't gotten anywhere."

"Natsu... Get on." Igneel ordered, but nothing seemed to phase the dragon slayer.

After being refused once more, Igneel grunted and grabbed onto Natsu, taking off into the air and into what seemed like no special direction.

The boy squirmed in the Dragon's grasp, hitting his elbow against his giant thumb in an attempt to break free. "Just leave me alone!"

"Will you stop?!" Igneel growled, squeezing Natsu gently. "I'm doing something good."

Natsu hesitantly stopped but glared up at Igneel. "What could possibly be good at this point." The tears in his eyes making Igneel break inside a little.

"I'm making sure you see this... Lucy... Again. At least for a little while until... You know."

Natsu froze and took a couple seconds before looking forward to see a bright yellow light in the distance. "Wait..."

"Goodbye Natsu... We'll meet again soon." The dragon smiled. "Hopefully not under a bad situation."

---

Natsu's eyes were shut tight and he had no idea when he decided to take such an intense cat nap in the first place. "Igneel..." He mumbled, trying to sit up, but stopped after feeling the weight on his chest. "Huh?"

Slowly, he cracked open his eyes to immediately lock on to a pair of big brown ones that held an intense emotion of relief. "Natsu..." She whispered, her hands creeping up to his jaw line, examining his every feature. "You're ok..."

Natsu bit his lip as it began to tremble. Not knowing how to give her the news he was indeed not okay, he scooped Happy and Lucy into his arms and pulled them to his chest, crying into Lucy's blonde hair.

"Lucy... I'm sorry. I'm sorry." He choked out, his fingers tangling themselves in her hair, not even paying attention to the fact she was naked on top of him. "I want to have a future with you... That's all I could ever want. Just wish for it too and maybe we can make it happen. Please. Lucy my future is only with you..."

Lucy began to shake in sadness and confusion, but nodded anyway. "Of course... There's nothing I could ever want more."

They remained in each others arms for awhile, with the only sounds coming from Happy's sobs.

"But... Promise you won't do anything like this ever again." Lucy said out of nowhere, keeping her face hidden in the crook of pink haired boy's neck.

Natsu looked down at her golden hair, watching as it moved up and down with each breath she took. "I promise." He said finally, telling himself he will find a way to stay alive. "Cross my heart."