3

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Olivia rolls over on her bed, checking to see what time it is. Yesterday was a long day, and she hadn't had time to fully recuperate from babysitting Gia and Coby until now... at five o' clock at night. Now that her energy levels are up, she's ready to conquer the world again.

Rising from her cozy bed and picking up her phone, Olivia walks out of her bedroom and peaks into Jake's room. Her younger brother isn't so bad most of the time, but he thinks it's fun to tease her and pick fights with her. Most of the time, it's all in good spirit, but lately, Jake's been acting like a royal bonehead.

"What are you up to?" Olivia asks, going into his room and attempting to peak at the screen of his laptop.

He jumps, glaring at her as he takes off his headphones. His mug of hot chocolate almost spills all over his sweatpants as he slams the lid of his laptop shut."Nothing, why?"

She smiles, smirking. "No reason."

Olivia heads downstairs and into the kitchen, sitting on one of the wooden bar stools. Watching her mother cook dinner, she chats with her about taking the kids to see Santa at the mall. Soon enough, dinner is ready and their family prays before eating.

Olivia takes another bite of her hamburger as she pages through her Twitter feed. Some of her friends from school complain about the homework they got over break while other people brag about their large friend groups through silly photos. Rolling her eyes, Olivia shuts off her phone and takes a swing of Mountain Dew.

"Was that eye roll directed at me?" Jake, her younger brother, asks, chopping on a french fry.

"No, idiot," she replies, rolling her eyes again as a smirk grows on her face. "That one was for you. Merry Christmas, you filthy animal!"

"Jake, stop picking fights," their mom replies, shaking her head, "and, Olivia, stop fueling the fire. You two need to learn to get along better. It's the holidays; there is no room to be fighting anymore."

Jake rolls his eyes. "Fine, I'll be nicer to Livy as long as you let me go to Marcus' Christmas party tonight."

"Don't call me that," Olivia snaps, glaring at her brother from across the table.

"Are you telling me or asking me?" their mother asks, completely ignoring their side conversation.

"Asking, duh. I'm not that rude, Mom."

Olivia's mom takes another bite of her burger, savoring the juicy taste. "You can go as long as you take your sister with you."

"C'mon, Mom! That's so unfair!" Jake complains, running his hand through his blonde hair in frustration. He's red in the face and completely livid.

"A deal is a deal, honey. Now, finish your dinner and clean up your room. I'm doing the last load of wash for the week, so don't complain about not having clean clothes to wear, either."

* * *

"Please, Olivia, don't ruin this for me," Jake begs, "I really want to go."

"Well, I don't. I have other stuff to do."

"Like what? Writing Larry fanfictions?"

Olivia scowls, kicking him off her bed. He flops on the floor with a loud thud. "That's quite a bold thing to say to the person who's your golden ticket to your stupid party."

Jake grins, lightening up. "So you'll go with me?"

Groaning, she rolls her eyes yet again. "Okay, fine, but you owe me one, big time."

"That's cool with me!" he squeals, running into his room. "Get changed, and fast! I don't want to be late, and I promised Ricky I'd help him set up."

Olivia frowns and forces her legs to carry her to her closet. She lazily throws on a tank top and a sweater, keeping her jeans on. It's not like she has to impress anybody; Jake's friends are definitely not her friends.

Olivia heads outside and warms up the car before Jake even emerges from his bedroom. It's cold outside, definitely below freezing, and a blanket of snow still covers the front law. For the first time in a long while, Hendersville just may have a white Christmas.

"Fuck, it's cold out," Jake says, jumping into the Ford Fiesta. He rubs his hands together to create on ounce of warmth.

"Mmm hmm." Olivia backs out of the driveway, narrowly missing the mailbox, and flies down the street.

"Dude, I know you're mad at me, but I am thankful for you, you know?"

The car coasts to the red light. "Yeah, you aren't so bad sometimes, either, but I still don't want to go to your party."

"I'm sure it won't be that bad for you. After all, a bunch of college kids will be there, too, so I'm sure you could find someone to hang out with."

"Yeah, sure. Just give me directions; do I make a left or a right here?"

Five minutes later, the brother-sister duo stand on the front porch of a large, white house (or mansion, in Olivia's opinion). Jake rings the doorbell, waiting for Ricky to answer the door. Someone yells something from inside, and the wooden door flings open to reveal a muscular guy wearing a Christmas sweater. His big eyes and wide smile make her feel a little bit better about the entire situation her mom just had to put her in.

"Hey, Ricky, what's up?" Jake asks, letting himself into the house. Olivia follows him, letting him take the lead on this one.

"Is this that girl you were talking about?" he laughs, rubbing his chin and winking at her.

"No, dude, that's my sister!"

Ricky's eyes almost pop out of his head as he lets out an uncomfortable laugh. "Oh, shit, sorry."

Olivia has no idea what's going on between the two of them, but she also has no intention of finding out. She wonders why boys have to act like such boys all the time before sitting on one of the cozy couches in the living room and petting the beagle laying on the ground.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *