Chapter 4 ~ Impurest

I'm aware that there are mistakes and grammar errors. I write to tell creative fictional stories, not to write a professional book.

Thanks 😙
*Trigger warnings in this chapter*

My heart had begun racing as I watched the hands on the grandfather clock tick away as if it were anticipating the dinner ahead. My stomach rolled and turned, and I wondered if I would even be able to eat tonight.

My gloved hands twirled the ribbons of my corset, clutched tightly in my fist as I attempted string it myself. My mind wandered to the sensation of Niccolo popping them open one at a time and exposing my naked body to him. An angry shiver coated me, thinking of everything I let him get away with.

"Bastard," I fought back tears, fumbling with the strings once more. Underneath this dress I wore bruises and cuts— handprints and hickies. The king would see all of this and he would realize I truly wasn't what he wanted. I wasn't good enough; not for a king.

What would be it be like to make love opposed to a man trapping me beneath his body and force his mouth onto mine. Would it hurt? I had been grateful that Niccolo had kept me pure and all this time I wondered why. I had no knowledge of the process, but I have heard the screams from down the halls near Niccolo's chambers and the panting of men only next door and I feared what it truly was. 

"Milady Ryan," A meek voice entered the crack in the door, a golden light filtering through. I was startled at the fact that I was called by Tommy's last name, but it was correct, we were still married. I watched her in the mirror and I continued, frustrated, trying to dress myself. "Let me," She was rather beautiful, skin like snow and cheeks so rosy that she needed no makeup. Her hair was tightly curled and pinned into a messy gathering on top of her head. Her lips pursed with focus, her amber eyes racing over the mess I probably made back there.

"Thank you.." I trailed off, signaling that I didn't know her name.

"Julia," She said, pulling the strings so tightly a gasp escaped my lips. I placed either hand against the mirror before me, balancing my weight evenly between the two. "This corset goes underneath the dress but over the shift, it seems ye got that much right. You're quite lovely, Lass, I'm glad you are here,"

"Julia, thank you," I said. I watched her work, diligently and quick like she had done this many a time before. "I'm sorry, I am just— nervous. I am not sure what to expect,"

"No worry for you, Lass. The lord is a fair man. You are safe with him," She paused, pulling the strings even tighter than I could possibly imagine. "I canna fathom all you have endured. Not all alphas are as fair as his grace,"

"Pardon my asking, but how long have you worked here, Julia?" I asked, her energy much more pleasant than I would expect from a woman back at home

"Pardon my asking, but how long have you worked here, Julia?" I asked, her energy much more pleasant than I would expect from a woman back at home. Could it be that this land was truly different? "You are not trapped?"