Chapter 14

Welcome back (already 💋)
I am curious, are you willing to tell me what part of the world you are in?
Because I'd love to know where my books are being read...
XG
---

It wasn't until I took the shirt off that I realized that my skin was painted in blood all over. My hair was clumpy with dried blood and goddess knows what else. So I took the longest shower possible and only got out when my brother yelled through the door. "You might be the damned Alpha now sis... but if I tell mum you're using all the hot water at the Elders she'll still make you suffer!"
I smiled but didn't reply.
"I have the phone in my hand!" He threatened. I laughed and turned the water off. He was right, I'd been in the shower for ages, I was clean and stayed in because I didn't want to face whatever came next.

Dressed in on of the outfits supplied by Miri, black dress pants with a mint green shirt I stepped out. Andrew was beside the door and I turned straight into his inviting, familiar hug. He squeezed me tightly before pushing me back a bit and looking me up and down.
"Only you, wait till I tell mum about this fashion statement." Andrew grinned when he saw me, barefoot with a towel on my head in my pretty clothes. "Bro, I can order you to not ring mum... ever!"
He was lightly slapped by Callen who had been leaning against the wall beside him. "She's the boss, she can dress however the hell she wants now. You make sure that you don't say things like that in front of others."
He pointedly glanced behind me into the large room on the other side of the hall and I pulled from my brother's embrace to see a few very amused faces. Andrew kept an arm around my shoulder and fell into step with me as I walked over to the men. I pulled the towel off and dropped it on a chair I walked past.

Arseniy and his brother had again taken up opposite positions again, covering the room.
"You feel better Ariel?" It was Arseniy's brother, Alpha of the Shadow Pack.
"Yes, thank you..." I left the question hanging and he smiled as he caught me glancing between him and his brother while positioning myself out of their range and closest to the door, effectively refusing to sit. The others in the room looked surprised at my stance and the Snow Pack Betas that were now mine started to get up. "Please. Don't get up on my account guys. I just need a moment to find my place."

The Alpha of the Shadow pack approached me slowly. Stretched out his hand and caught mine, turning it to give it a kiss. He hadn't shown submission but he had bowed to me and I understood the implication. It was a sign of respect. "I should have introduced myself. I am Nicolai Borislav Tihon Volchenko, Alpha of Shadow Pack... you may call me Niko."
"Thank you Niko."
"You have good names. Do you know the meaning of your names little one?"
"I do actually. My grandfather worked hard to persuade our father to agree with him, we heard the story a million times when we were growing up. Ariel means Lion of God yet he always teased me that I was his little mermaid, a thing of legend, of which many stories are told. My father's line only ever has male children and it's a dominant trait regardless of the amount of women in their wife's families."
Andrew chuckled and cut in. "She is the first and only exception for as far back as they could find and that was bloody far too." He held his hand out between me and the Elder that didn't look much older than Andrew and dropped the carved wolf from his hand. It dangled on the cord for only a second before I grabbed it and put it on.

"What is the significance?" A woman asked curiously from her position beside Arseniy.
"Granddad carved it for her when she was born. The moment dad agreed with her name he carved the inscription." He glanced at me and I nodded, it wasn't anything bad, there was no reason for him not to tell. "It says... 'Always remember my little mermaid - Let them throw you to the big bad wolves to die, for you will return their Alpha.'"

There was a significant silence before anyone spoke and Nico retreated back to his position opposite the room from his brother. They were communicating, I was sure, regardless of being from different packs. They were staring at each other, the man in the suit with the green shirt and the younger female that had asked the question. Drew caught on as well and linked with me. 'Hey sis?' I pulled at the connection with him and Callen without thought and replied when I felt them both. 'Yes Drew?'
'What do you think they're talking about?'
'You asked the wrong question Andrew. We need to know why only four of the Elders are discussing the matter. We also need to know why the other two Elders, that should have been here today with these seven, aren't here. Well.. six now.'
'What are you talking about Callen?'
'There are nine Elders. General pack only ever hears the term Elders but there should be nine of them. Richard said it happens regularly that they don't all come but normally they are all there for important stuff. A new line is important stuff.'