For Baltimore

(In this book, the titles will actually match the scene) Thanksgiving 2011, btw.

Marina's POV:

I wandered from the plane with only my small backpack and little rolling carry on. My sister in law Ella and my brother Don came running at me with hugs and love. I had decided to spend Thanksgiving with them this year. I couldn't go back home to my mother, and I couldn't stay in lonely San Diego when all the other girls were going home. I mean, Vic and Mike did invite me to eat with their family, but that would only be for tomorrow. I could spend the entire week down here going to museums and shopping with my sister in law. Besides, I secretly hoped I would see Alex. After a year and a half, we still texted nearly every day. I told him everything. He really was my best friend.

It was a short drive back to my brother's apartment. There was a small office space converted into a guest room, and the bed was so tall I had to stack encyclopedias to get in. For some odd reason I had felt depressed lately. My mother hating me, Levi hating me, the girls running out on me. It was all negative energy surrounding me. I could hear Ella and Don talking quietly in the other room on how to cheer me up, but all I really wanted was sleep and distraction.

The next morning we had a small breakfast and began the cooking. My brother was working on the Turkey, but struggling. He wasn't very good at cooking or getting dirty. I put my green bean casserole in the toaster oven, and then Ella and I started on everything else. Mashed potatoes, butternut squash, corn, everything. I put together a no bake chocolate pie and a pumpkin pie. We sat together and ate, and the turkey was absolutely great. The only real complaint was the canned cranberry sauce, which was shit. Ella and I teased my brother about it to no end. Afterwards, we began watching the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving episode. I was still in the dumps, but I could put on a show for my amazings hosts.

"What am I s'posed to do, uh-oh-" My phone buzzed in my pocket. That was my ringtone for Alex.

"Hello?" I answered, taking it into my room.

"Hey sunshine, what's the address?" He asked.

"What?" I paused.

"I'm coming to get you. I'm in Alexandria now, just got off the exit, and I wanna see you. I plugged in the apartment complex but I'm not sure which building it is." He said. This complex in particular was four towers.

"Just park in front of the first one. I'll meet you outside the lobby." I felt a genuine smile for the first time in a few weeks.

"Okay. I'll see you in a few, beautiful."

"Alright. See you soon." I said. It felt so out of the blue, him just showing up. I never even knew he remembered where I said I was staying. I grabbed my backpack and put on my rip-off black uggs. I wandered out to my brother and Ella. "So this is kinda last minute, but my friend Alex from Baltimore decided to suprise me and come get me."

"Oh, sweet. Have fun!" Ella said.

"Are you spending the night?" My brother asked.

"I don't think so. But I'm bringing my backpack just in case." I said.

"Alright, well just text us when you get home and we'll leave the door unlocked." He smiled.

"Thanks so much, guys." I grinned, and headed out the door. I walked past the elevator and went down the three flights of stairs. I saw him waiting outside, leaning against his black SUV with arms crossed. His eyes lit up when he saw me, and arms opened. I couldn't stop my feet from running. They galloped to him, and I fell into his arms. His embrace was tight and warm. I felt his head nuzzle into my low shoulder.